What's eating my tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Michigan
This tree is about 50 ft tall and about a foot in diameter at eye level.

It looks like someone has taken a sharp chisel and worked it about 25 feet up the tree on the north side. The shavings are laying scattered around the base.

I've never seen anything like it, and don't see any more in the vicinity.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Porcupine is my guess. They work high in trees generally at night. Tracks are hand print with tail drag. Traps or shooting most effective control. They have a unique smell if you are one who has a nose that is sensitive to it

Last edited:
Interesting looking. I would guess a porcupine as well. If its on the north side it was probably after the moss/lichen on the bark. The are essentially a climbing beaver of sorts!

Porkies leave a nice pile of bark and porky poop at the bottom of the tree. If it's one they've been in a while it's very noticeable.

That's the work of woodpeckers flaking of bark in search of the bugs under the bark. Can't tell is if its an ash from your pics, but that is a telltale sign of emerald ash borer infestation (and imminent death of tree). Given your location, if its an ash then Id guess that's it.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I looked at pictures of porcupine damage, and this didn't look exactly like what I saw on the web. This is a bit more sporadic, and the damage I saw on the web was more continuous - like once they start on an area they cover the whole area.

I can believe it's woodpeckers except some of these chips are 1.0+ inch square and a .25+ inch thick -- seriously, like you are taking a 1 inch chisel and working the surface through the bark. We do have some of these big Pileated wood peckers around -- maybe those guys are strong enough to do this.

The leaves on this tree are buried up in the canopy and I can't make out exactly what it is -- it does look like a compound leaf, so maybe it is an ash. There aren't a lot of them in this specific woodland, but maybe that's why I've also not seen this happen before.

Thanks again!

Evidence points toward a dying ash due to the dirty EAB. Then the wood peckers come in to get at bugs. If you have ash in Michigan and it is not dead -it will be :(

Reactions: TreePointer
EAB, for sure. It's a goner!

You guys keep that EAB over there in Michigan, mmkay? I'd have some great firewood for probably the next 20 years, but I am so not ready to deal with that. I have hundreds of ash trees back in the woods - it's about the only thing that likes to grow in the low spots.

Reactions: Applesister
EAB, for sure. It's a goner!

nrford, I'm assuming you can tell from the bark that this is an Ash? (I know your tree-ID skills are legendary.)

Well, at least now I know.

Thanks, everyone. At least this one is reasonably close to my wood pile.

Yes, 1750 from the bark. I'm on the road all the time for work and this is one of the things you see all over Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and to a lesser extent Wisconsin. Have even seen it in NY, and PA. It is a late sign of EAB infestation caused by the woodpeckers trying to get after the larvae. Since I have this Timber industry in my blood I notice trees all over!

Another vote for the EAB. Unfortunately I have seen way too many of those around here. I do get a fair bit of firewood due to those little buggers but.....

I wonder why the (the woodpeckers) only work one side of the tree?

It's about 30 feet, but all contained within a column of about 10 inches on just the one side.

I wonder why the (the woodpeckers) only work one side of the tree?

It's about 30 feet, but all contained within a column of about 10 inches on just the one side.

They could have been using the tree as a shield against something on the other side, like humans. The Piliateds here jump low on a tree so we can't see each other, and at 50-60 feet up they may switch and come to our side.

That makes sense, but this is the house side. I wonder if the EAB tends to favor a side -- sun v shade, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.