What's everybody Packin'...................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
What chainsaw is everyone using? I'm packin' a Craftsman 42cc with 18" bar. Thought about going with a 16" bar when the time comes for replacing. Any advice maybe on the shorter bar................

I am using a Poulan Farmhand 2900. It has a 20 inch bar with a just under 50 CC (2.8 CI) engine. The saw is a little under powered, but it does what I ask it to do. :)

That's cool, Iron. Honestly I'm quite happy with this saw, it's the biggest I've had so far- stepped up from a 24cc Homelite, so needless to say this thing smokes it. Pinon pine is what I'm cutting most, pretty soft stuff with the occasional cedar that can bring most everything to it's knees. I know there are biggger, badder saws out there, and I'm still kind of a noob to the whole wood burning scenebut I'm really enjoying the new lifestyle.......

I've got a Poulan (32 cc) and a Homelite rebuilt (hand-me-down from the father-in-law). I afraid the Poulan's on it's last legs but it has served me well for the last 9 years. Both have 14" bars which have worked well for me although I don't tackle much over 12" diameter. One downside might be the shorter the bar, the fewer the teeth. Hence they may dull up a bit sooner.

Husky 455 Rancher with 20" bar. So far I like it and seems to have plenty of power for me. If I had it to do over, I may have tried harder to find the Dolmer 5100 as everyone says they are the bomb. But again, so far no complaints with the 455.
Steph

Stihl 029 farm boss. @nd bar and countless chains, still cuts like a hot knife thru butter!!! I am a stihl man all the way after owning this saw. Next one will be a pro series to lighten the load a little. I don't think that will happen for many years though. I have been cutting for 8 years and should get at least 8 more out of it (as long as I don't loan it out)!!!

husky 372xp nice an lite an cuts great 2 pulls and away she goes

I hear that husky is a brute. I only went with the stihl originally cause the case (plastic) seemed sturdier. How does the case hold up on them?

Poulan 16" pro and Stihl 18" ms270cb. Just got the Stihl, broke it in yesterday. Great saw, cut through 16-18" logs like buttah.

We drop and cut up 10 cord per year (soon to be more) of ice storm damaged maple, beech and birch on a neighbor's property. I bought a Husky 357XP to replace a McCulloch pro mac 650 handed down through the family. Ran it for 6 years without doing anything other than replacing the fuel line from tank to carb (they chafe). Bought another one recently because it seemed like a good idea to have a spare. The 57cc saw with a 20" bar is pretty good; my brother has a 372XP and it is noticeably more powerful in large wood but for carrying around all day I like the lighter saw.

New to the board. Been reading for a couple of weeks.

I use a Husky 350 with 18" bar and a Husky 385XP with 32" bar.

The big saw makes short work of just about anything.

Stihl MS 310 with an 18inch bar. So far, so good.

i am using a Stihl 028 Wood Boss that I bought sight unseen from a garage sale that my bro was at. He called and asked if i wanted a chain saw for $ 75 (looked in good shape he said). That was 8 years ago. Stihl going strong!!!

I'm using an 036 stihl 18" 15 years old for cutting tops and branches and an 066 24" and 32" bars for felling and now believe it or not for cutting firewood,the 066 is heavy but it has so much power it rips thru those rounds in half the time as the 036 you just let the saw do the work.I am spoiled after you get used to a saw like that with that much hp I don't have the patience to cut with small saws anymore,both saws have never let me down

Wow...I have no idea. It's the one we found in the barn. I know it's not terribly old and not terribly big, but it gets the job done.

Depends what is being cut. The attached picture is of what came out for Saturday's firewood cutting. We were cleaning up some trees that had been pieced down by a tree service (hazard trees that couldn't be flopped) and we were in 50"+ maple for much of the day, as well as all the limbs on down to 3"; everything smaller goes in the chipper. Also dropped a 44" willow and blocked it up; it will be freecycled.

The saws used Saturday were:

Stihl 076 - 42" (3/8" pitch, 8t rim, skiptooth)
Stihl 066 - 28" (3/8" pitch, 8t rim)
Dolmar 7900 - 20" (3/8" pitch, 7t rim)
Husqvarna 154 woods ported - 16" (.325" pitch, 7t rim)
Husqvarna 238se - 13" (.325" pitch narrow kerf, 7t)
Echo CS3400 - 14" (3/8" LP, 6t)

In all honesty, most firewood I encounter (as well as removals and storm clean-up) could be handled easily with the 154 and 7900. But the little ones are lighter/more nimble for limbing, and the big ones make super fast work of cross cutting huge wood and ripping blocks into sizes that can be hoisted on to the splitter.

Attachments

• Firewood_Saws.jpg
    Firewood_Saws.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,182
  • Big_Maple.jpg
    Big_Maple.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,108
Poulan ES350 I picked up for $20 (It's electric, but I live in suburbia and I am usually bucking pine/eucalyptus scrounged from craigslist).

My 8lb Maul is my most used 'weapon'

ComputerUser - every time you post pics - I get saw envy.

I run a MS-361. I have a couple of others that mostly sit. The 361 with an 18" bar does the most work, and I strap a 25" bar on for the big wood. Great machine with no regrets.

WoodMann said:
What chainsaw is everyone using? I'm packin' a Craftsman 42cc with 18" bar. Thought about going with a 16" bar when the time comes for replacing. Any advice maybe on the shorter bar................

Mark,
I have the same saw as you do......here is my story how I got it.........5 years ago my nieghbor dropped it , the anti vibration spring broke. His wife bought him a Stihl.
He gave me the saw for free and I fixed the spring. I have beaten on this saw time after time again....cord after cord of wood and cannot kill it. I have overheated it twice (last year on a grapple load) its keeps going........I hate to replace it.....but its time has come this year........long live my Craftsman !
I've got a Dolmar dealer close by.......$379.00 for a 5100s, probably gonna go for that

WoodButcher

I typically run my Husky 372XPW (75cc) for most cutting, my Husky 346XP (50cc) for smaller work and a lot of the smaller felling and my Stihl 056 MagII (93.4cc) for cutting big wood. It's too heavy to do felling work or lug up the hill to cut.

And I have the pics in my Sig.

I'll likely be buying a Dolmar 7900 sometime mid season when I sell a few cords of wood since I'm way ahead and only have limited room on my property for wood storage.

WoodMann said:

Mark,
A 16" bar on mine did'nt make a "noticable differance". I swapped a 16" Oregon bar on mine with a new chain and it cut just about the same.

WoodButhcer

Status
Not open for further replies.