1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What's everyone using for pipe insulation on the roof - solar project.

Post in 'The Green Room' started by stupe, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stupe

stupe Member

Loc:
    Lake George, NY
    What are people using for pipe insulation on the roof that stays dry and won't be destroyed by the sun? I'm sure I can buy the PVC pipe jackets that are found on commercial jobs but I'm guessing that stuff is expensive. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I am not running solar here, but my friends who are using solar DHW with a glycol loop piped up through the roof and back are just using the regular black foam pipe insulation used for basement heating pipe. Its held on with zip ties.
  3. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Rubatex insulation covered with PVC pipe. I split it lengthwise and resecure it with tie wraps in areas where I cant slip the rubatex in through the pipe in advance. For elbows, I use a 3M electrical tape that is typically used to cover over splices in electric cables (looks like super 33 but a lot wider).
  4. steam man

steam man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I had the same issues. You shouldn't use standard off the shelf harware store foam stuff. You can find the higher rated stuff like Armaflex HT good for like 320 deg. Its hard to find though. I used 3' long fiberglass high temp pipe insulation 1" thickness with the pvc jacketing all over. I also used the pvc tape for all the joints. I think I got it from www.buyinsulationproducts.com. or something like that. There are others. Shipped fast. I just know that there are plenty of solar insulations where the insulation melted off at higher temps. Do it right.

Mike
  5. stupe

stupe Member

Loc:
    Lake George, NY
    Thanks everyone.

Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I was looking for. Prices don't seem too bad either.

Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.