Whats in that everburn ceramic thing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My new part has not arrived yet. When I spoke to my dealer, I asked what caused this? The dealer didn't offer up any reasons, Just that, "it shouldn't happen". When I asked, "how long should it last?"
he said, "well, I would think at least 5 years"

my theory is - The model stove I bought was fairly new to the market, and I have watched them making improvements as time goes on (this happens with anything, cars, electronics etc).
I guess I am hoping that maybe the first models came through with a lesser quality part, and since they have made improvements, at least my fingers are crossed. Maybe next time, I wont
buy the first of a new model when it is introduced onto the market.

Alderlea (miracle stove) looks like a nice stove, I would have considered that one for sure, that cook top is an amazing idea.

Hopefully, your part will be in this week. I looked at the Leyden's again this weekend. They sure are a nice looking stove. I know what you mean by buying a new model of something. It is hard to resist, though. :)

KeithO said:
Visit someone with a microscope and look at one of the chunks. If it has fiber in it, you know you have damage. Bear in mind these fibers have a diameter of 2-8 microns (that is about 0.08 - 0.32 thou). The primary problem with the refractory is that the binders that hold this stuff together are pretty crappy. If stove makers spent a bit more money, there is much higher grade material available that would be perfectly robust, but as usual everything is expected to be almost for free on the supply side with a hefty markup on the sales side. If I owned one of these stoves and had a problem, I would look at getting alumina firebrick (will withstand 2000F) and remaking the offending parts out of that instead. Having said that, I do have the benefit of having expert knowledge on these materials, whereas your typical consumer is pretty much on his own with his warranty and has to pay whatever the manufacturer demands. In my opinion, this is a much less reliable and ultimately much more expensive kind of stove than catalytic stoves from companies like Blaze King or Woodstock Soapstone, and I would not recommend anyone buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.