What's in your stacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FaithfulWoodsman

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2015
Geographic Center of Ohio
Interested in hearing the breakdown on what kind of timber everyone has in the bank. I know some of you have some real gems tucked away and others have enough wood to retire on if your 401 tanks.

My current stash, some of which will be burned this year. Number are close, but approximate and at all different stages of drying.

Ash - 5 cords
Cherry - 3 cords
Elm - .5 cord
Mulberry - .5 cord
Silver Maple - 1 cord
Beech - 1 cord
Red Oak - 1 cord
White Oak - 2 cords
Osage and Poplar - couple wheel barrow loads

In my stacks: Turkey Oak, Black Locust, Cherry, Walnut, Almond, Plum, Apple, Pear, Mulberry, and Chestnut.

I have no idea of the percentages. The oak and locust I bought, the rest is from tree trimming and logging on our property.

If it is dry, it goes into the stove. I am a simple man.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Love burning fruit trees. What is "turkey oak"?

Have about 1 cord each of white oak, ash and sugar maple left in the shed for this winter. Maybe 1/2 cord of silver maple too. Wasn't until the 2nd week of November that we had our 1st fire so unless we have really cold temps this should be enough for this heating season.

I'm guessing I have 3+ cords of red/white oak, 1 cord locust and 2 cords of sugar maple all of which are seasoned 2+ yrs. Less than 1 yr seasoned is about 2.5 cords of ash. Going to cut some oak this weekend and have a fair amount of ash and maple to also get too soon. Looking forward to running the saw again, it's collecting dust since late spring.

Looking forward to running the saw again, it's collecting dust since late spring.
x2 Warm fall had me working lots of side jobs later than normal. Looking forward to getting into the woods.

i'll play....

Willow: 3/4 cord
Elm: 3 cord
Spruce/Pine: 1- cord
Aspen: 1/2 cord
Cedar: 1/3 cord
Maple: 1/3 cord
Boxelder: 2/3 cord
Russian Olive: 2 cord
cherry: 1/8 cord
peach: 1/8 cord
Honey Locust: 7/8 cord
rosebush: can't figure out how to stack it nicely

Side note: look to the left of this comment.... at "Loc
Ahhh.......I see.
Looks like "turkey" is a white oak and very similar in leaf and acorn to Bur Oak.

Almost 12 C roadside scrounge.

I live in the forest and haven't cut a limb yet. LOL
80% ash Asplundh drops thru doughnuts, soda, and coffee. (bribery to buck under carrying weight, 27")
At least 3 C gifted red oak. (My babies)
Following the natural order it would be a mix but the EAB has done it's damage so that's our standard daily burns.
The city dump offers up pine usually and there's a pickup load or two of that tossed in for startups.

The 12 C statement is the mass total of the wood wall, no specific species.

Real Cheap

Dobish,

I see you have a bunch of Russian Olive. I seem to recall somewhere someone said they did not like it because of its smell.

Back in the 50's and 60's the Extension Service was pushing them for windbreaks. Now however, they are on the noxious plant list and they are trying to get rid of them. I see them occasionally, but have stayed away from them.

Could you give us a little feedback of burning them regarding smell, splitting, btu's, etc?

when it is wet, it smells terrible, sort of like cat piss. It dries out pretty quick, and it does actually split pretty easily. I split most of it by hand, but used the splitter for a few of the bigger knotty pieces. It is pretty light, and seems to burn pretty fast. I mix it in with other stuff, of late it has been maple or elm. I will do a full load of it later this evening and see how long it lasts. Being inside, I don't really notice any of the smoke smell....

Im trying to get the 3 year rotation going smoothly, so far I have split:

7+ Cords of Ash and still splitting almost daily to keep up with dead
4 cords of red oak
2.5 cord black locust
1 cord pine/spruce I will split to kindling as needed
.5 walnut
.5 of I believe maple?

~14 cords, dominated by beech, then sugar maple. A smattering of cherry, ash, and set on the side, Hornbeam for February nights at 30 below. I had about 3/4 cord of poplar, but donated some for my mothers fireplace and have all but burned the rest. The poplar has been surprisingly respectable in keeping the house warm, but we haven't been tested yet and have used only about 1/2 cord yet this season, and not a drop of propane. The 10 day forecast shows about 2 hours above freezing, and anywhere from 15-32 inches of snow coming. Highs in the teens next week. Perfect timing for transitioning out of poplar.

Winter. Has. Arrived.

I say "Bring it!"

13 cords in total. Mostly ash(EAB), a lot of mulberry, hackberry, walnut, and cherry from fence rows. About 1.5 cords red/silver maple. 1 cord black locust. 1 cord hickory. 1 cord red elm. A little red oak and Osage.

I forgot I have a cord of cottonwood and some half punky beech by the fire pit.

bfitz, hear ya on the poplar. Been liking it this fall too. How does the beech compare to others. Somewhere between ash and oak? 2 yr beech will be my hot stash for this year.

Sweet. Highs in the teens next week. Wont be long before I start tying into that stack. Nice mix btw

7+ Cords of Ash and still splitting almost daily to keep up with dead
Ain't that the truth. Just don't have the time right now unfortunately.

I have about ten cord of black locust.
Five cord of red oak.
Four to five cord maple.
One cord of elm.
Two to three cord of beech.
One cord of cedar.
One or two cord of shag bark hickory.
One cord of mulberry.
Half a cord of cherry left, that's what I've been burning mostly this year.

bfitz, hear ya on the poplar. Been liking it this fall too. How does the beech compare to others. Somewhere between ash and oak? 2 yr beech will be my hot stash for this year.
Beech is a rock! Burns hot, long, and coals great! The only oak I have is one year seasoned, so I can't compare. I have so little of it that there is no point in even mentioning it in my list either. I can say it beats ash though, even though ash seems to season a bit quicker.

Sadly, I'm staring at 30 cords (easily, probably more) that will die soon from beech bark disease. With wood CSS for 18/19, that would take me to 2025/2026 and I don't see myself processing and using that much before it turns to punk. In my last walk in the woods, I noticed 4-5 inch trees that had the fungus. It makes me think that Beech is destined for extinction.

"Three sneers for global warming and invasive species/disease."

I don't have a clue about how many cords of each, but I'm sorting a total, note, if about 17 cords of oak, maple, locust, hickory, cherry, ash, walnut, and about 1.5 cords combined of pine and willow I cut up for some older folks who needed it gone, and I owed them a favor anyway. It'll burn, but not for long. Too much of that will be gone this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ain't that the truth. Just don't have the time right now unfortunately.

Im sure its the same wherever you are in Ohio. I still have 143 more dead ashes to c/s/s on my 30 acres. I have already cut 61 in the last year or 2.