What's it take

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
Took another ash this morning...........going to drop another. I counted the rings on the ones I've taken.
I've took 3 so far. These trees are around 40 years old and about 60 feet high and 14 to 16 inches at the base. That's all they were as I just measured a typical round. I figure that to get the ash I need for this year I will need to take 6 trees down about this size and have about 25 hours into it. I know I'll have me a good 3 cords.

I figure that to get the ash I need for this year I will need to take 6 trees down about this size and have about 25 hours into it. I know I'll have me a good 3 cords.
I'm not sure that Ash will be totally dry by this Fall, especially if it was live when cut. It will still burn, just won't be at its best. It'll help to split it on the small side, but you should probably keep an eye on your flue for buildup, just to be safe. The fastest-drying stuff for me last year was Red Maple. Silver is supposed to dry fast as well. The Black Cherry wasn't quite as dry as the Red Maple but wasn't bad. Of course, these don't give as long a burn as White Ash will...
Oh, and we'll need some pics when you get time. ==c

You cut , split & stack fire wood as soon as you can.
You burn what you got.
Then you learn you need to get a year a or 2 ahead so the pressure is not so heavy to get your wood dry.
Most of us have been there, it is hard to get ahead, but once you get there, lots easier to stay there.
Pictures?

Reactions: ScotO
I'd say ash will have a darn good shot at being ready for this winter.

Reactions: ScotO
I agree with LP. If you question that it will be ready, make your splits a little smaller (3x3" or 4x4"), stack them in single rows for quickest drying. Put them in a windy and sunny location if you can, leave them uncovered until around September. Then, top-cover them and you should be good to go....

Thanks guys. i split this stuff alot smaller than the oak I was burning.It is fairly small. I've done what Scotty has suggested.........single rows and out in the sun and wind. I had been piling under an open lean to

Got 3 trees total so far and have a second single row being stacked. I got my eye on a fourth tree but it is going to be a little tricky. I have to drop it inbetween two other trees that are about 10 feet apart...........hope I don't make a leaner out of it.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 029.jpg
    bearded asil hen 029.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 146
  • bearded asil hen 030.jpg
    bearded asil hen 030.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 132
Nice work Tim. Ash is great to burn. If it is split and outside for six months it's moisture content will be in good shape. And you will be loving those fires. Thanks for the pics. Keep them coming.

Got most of the three trees split and stacked this afternoon and dropped the fourth tree. It couldn't have landed better. Wanted to drop it on a 5 foot wide path for easy cutting and it landed dead center. This was a good size tree. Got two single rows 4 feet high and about 16 feet long. I'll be starting my third row tomorrow. Thanks for the advise Jack and thanks to the rest for the comments.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Took 20 rounds off the fourth tree this afternoon. I'll ge most of the rest of the tree tomorrow. I'll have me four good rows in another 2 days. After this tree, I got my eye on a some locust.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 032.jpg
    bearded asil hen 032.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 126
  • bearded asil hen 033.jpg
    bearded asil hen 033.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 105
Took 20 rounds off the fourth tree this afternoon. I'll ge most of the rest of the tree tomorrow. I'll have me four good rows in another 2 days. After this tree, I got my eye on a some locust.
Looks like you've got some extra to spare for some who are less fortunate,hope you do the right thing.

Great that you are getting this ash Tim. Super for helping the unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.