What's Kaowool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I'm really enjoying this website. A lot of good information.

While some of the information I'm pretty pleased with, I am realizing that I probably need to re-think my version of a block-off plate.

I just stuffed unface fiberglass bat up there!

I keep reading recommendations for block-off plates and something called kaowool. I am guessing that kaowool serves the function similar to my fiberglass batting but can handle higher temps.

What is kaowool?

Where can one get it?

How expensive is it?

Since I have an exterior chimney I'm gathering that it might be wise to insulate the entire length of liner pipe by filling the space between the liner and clay tile. I've heard sand and vermiculite. How about Quick-crete? Mortar?

I can get plenty of sand, but I'd worry that it would leak out of the clay tiles over time so I'd want something that would "set up".

I have no clue where to get vermiculite or kaowool. I'm guessing that if you have the advantage of living in an area where finding firewood is easy, finding things like vermiculite and kaowool will not be.

Vermiculite is naturally occurring mineral, sort of a heat-expanded mica cut into chunks. Get it at your local agricultural supply place (it'a a great soil amendment that helps soil hold water better). The best stuff is the large nugget size (about 1/8" cubes). The small stuff breaks down and has lots of small particles and dust, therefore, it has less dead-air space and a lesser insulation quality. It is relatively cheap and is great insulation that can handle high heat very well. My wife uses it for her hot glass beads (put into a can of the stuff at about 1100ºF). They need to cool slowly so they don't crack.

Wear a dust mask. Sometimes it can have traces of asbestos in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.