whats needed to sell house with wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cableman

Minister of Fire
Sep 26, 2013
long island
Hello all! We have some buyers for our house, wish i would have known i was selling it before i did such a nice install but oh well.
So my question is whats needed to be able to sell the stove with the house without any issues?
I bought the house 14 years ago with a huge bullard which definitely didnt meet code. Re-did the hearth and met all clearances with my shelburn but never contacted the town or had it inspected.
Im in ny on longisland. Thanks for any help!

Where you required to pull a permit? Did you? Chances are it will not be an issue at all but if you want to be on the safe side have it inspected by a certified sweep and have his report available to any potential buyer.

Did you contact your home insurance? What was their requirement?

When we bought our house we paid someone to inspect the heating appliance and had also a home inspection. Based on that we asked the seller to fix a few things up. Not sure what is common in your area.

Not sure if a permit was needed when i did it, and my insurance new i had the bullard stove but not the new one.
My lawyer asked if we had a co for the stove, dont know why i would need one. Now the buyer said they would like it to be documented or i can give them a grand and they will take care of it! Ya right.
Like you guys said i would think a certified chimney sweep should be enough. I guess ill have the wife inquire at the town also.

probably no problem as you didn't install a new chimney. which is what the inspectors focus on more than anything else. whens the last time you heard of a buyer asking if you pulled a permit for the stove install. if they hire a home inspector he may check the clearances and condition of chimney but isn't going to ask if you pulled a permit either.

They already had an inspector go through the whole house! He said i just need the 2nd support for the chimney, the every 5' thing which i knew.
Im taking my 5 cords of wood too, they were saying something about maybe putting a gas stove in its place!

worse comes to worse if your sure its up to code get ahold of your building inspector and tell him you replaced the stove with a newer one and didn't know you needed a permit since it wasn't a full install and you weren't redoing the chimney or changing any of the framing. pull the permit (I just got one 50 dollars here in central ny for a hv-15-0001 permit) then have him come out do the inspection and give that to your lawyer to satisfy the complaint still probably cheaper than a sweep inspection and certainly cheaper than a wett inspection. and satisfies the obligation of proof that the install was up to code for the buyers. beware though that you may need to update your fire and c02 detectors to meet the newer codes.

I did re-do the whole class a chimney, nothing was right on the last one. I took pictures of everything. I guess well just double check whats needed from the town.
How much a cert from a sweep cost?

ohh well if they already had their inspector come through and he said install the support then install the support and move on. it certainly wont cost 1000 dollars lol. if they want to put in gas then knock a little off the asking price and take the stove with you. they might take a small reduction in asking price if they are just planning on tearing it out anyway.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell you what a cert from a sweep costs you. I live in a very rural area so nearest sweeps are 30 miles away so a service call would cost me twice as much as the code enforcement permit/inspection. which was required so I went that route.

although im sure the insurance company will want a yearly inspection by a sweep so next year I will find out. although im sure that a sweeps inspection will be more focused on chimney condition and soot buildup than clearances and specs

Last edited:
Here was my install
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-stove-and-hearth-install.116701/

Lawyer says its the bank, their gonna ask when they walk through......

best to keep your mouth shut about the sliding glass door install as a new header requires another permit. and probably should act like that ceiling was always that way lol. best not to brag about any home remodeling that required pulling permits when you didn't especially to the inspector. I definetly would not show him pics. he will see the door change and want to rip out the interior to check your header is up to code.

A slider was there b4 the bullard lol

I couldn't tell you what a cert from a sweep costs you. I live in a very rural area so nearest sweeps are 30 miles away so a service call would cost me twice as much as the code enforcement permit/inspection. which was required so I went that route.
although im sure the insurance company will want a yearly inspection by a sweep so next year I will find out. although im sure that a sweeps inspection will be more focused on chimney condition and soot buildup than clearances and specs
30 miles is not to bad at all we regularly work in a 50 mile radius. And no a level 2 inspection by a professional certified sweep should entail everything including clearances of the stove pipe and chimney and anything else visible without destruction. And a level 2 is probably what your insurance will want. Probably not yearly but a level one inspection should be minimum with any cleaning.

Expect to pay somewhere between $149.00-229.00 for a cleaning and inspection. In this area it's typically $150 or so, I'd expect more in your area..

I would expect more than that for a cleaning and level 2 especially on long island. And if it is part of a real estate inspection at least in pa we are exposed to extra liability and therefore we charge more for real estate inspections.

So it sounds like i need a sweep to inspect it and sign off on it more so then anything from the town. I just cleaned it so they wont have to do that!
I will take the stove if i need too, figured it was nice selling feature.

I would tell them to pound sand. I actually would in this case not trying to flex my Internet muscle. They can hire a chimney sweep to come in and look at it. Heck we had someone come in and check the two chimneys prior to purchasing our house charged $60 and gave me the $60 back when I bought something from them later.

why would the insurance company want a lvl 2 inspection if you have just had an installation inspection measuring all the clearances ect that required leaving chase open. to inspect clearances connnections ect which cannot be seen with a lvl 2 inspection?

why would the insurance company want a lvl 2 inspection if you have just had an installation inspection measuring all the clearances ect that required leaving chase open. to inspect clearances connnections ect which cannot be seen with a lvl 2 inspection?
Why would connections not be seen by a level 2 inspection? And many don't have an installation inspection including the op. But really it comes down to the fact that they want to pass the liability on to a sweep so if anything goes wrong our insurance has to pay for it not yours. And some companies don't require any inspection at all it is up to them they can require what ever they want.

Last edited:
IMO, you will not be able to prevent 'issues' being raised by a potential buyer no matter how many hoops you jump yourself through. Most any buyer would be on the lookout for 'issues' he can raise in order to get the price down - whether it's your stove or something else.

If their inspector said you just need to add a second support - I would just add a second support. (Not sure exactly what that entails though). But I might take it to a buy & sell agreement first before spending any money - tire kickers are a heck of a thing to spend money on you might not have had to after all.

Looks like it needs a lower support, think that pipe calls for one for every 6' of vertical run? Been a while.
Is that "supervent" pipe? Hard to see, but did you skip the locking bands on the joints for a reason? Pretty sure it calls for them, just one more thing for them to pick apart if they're going to be like that.

Interesting. I bought a log home with an old VC vigilant installed on the hearth, not anywhere near code- and nobody cared. The inspector noted it as "wood stove past depreciable lifespan" but operational, insurance company didn't care at all, and the bank appraiser breezed through the house. Guess I slipped through the cracks. I knew it needed replacing and accounted for it in my offer.

Looks like the town said i need to pull a permit and then inspection.
I believe the support is needed every 5', i was gonna make my own on the lower section since its close to the house.
Are the locking bands code? Cant see it twisting itself off and see many around here not using them.

I truly think the bank would have come in and not said a thing, my stupid lawyer had to say something

Status
Not open for further replies.