What's on my glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffy

Oct 24, 2008
NH
What's on my glass besides shut? I've been burning Pennington and Pine Point pellets mixing about 1/3 Pennington to 2/3 Pine Point. I occasionally get a wax like substance on my glass. It looks clear but it takes some cleaning to remove it. I normally just wipe the glass clean with a paper towel, when I clear my burn pot. This stuff I have to shut down the stove and use water and ash to get it off.
Anyone else experience this?

must have been a typo. The letter 'u' is right next to the letter 'i' on the keyboard.

[Update] - What pellets are are you using?
I have heard of white, gray, brown, and black on the glass but not clear residue.

[Update again] - I reread and I see what pellets you are using. How long a burn does it take for the wax to form?

It was a typo, not that I wanted the "i" , didn't use the spell check.!
Timing of burn will vary before it shows. Sometimes more residue then at others, usually it shows up after a day long burn on 4-6 Englander 55SHP 22L stove.

Thats about how long of a burn I go before I start to see a film forming on my glass. I think that your ok since the color is not black soot. It sounds like flame is probably burning well. My ash formation is usually a light white to grayish film from me burning hardwood. Sometimes it comes off with a light wipe of a paint brush, and other times I have to use a liquid and paper towel. Since you mentioned Pine Point pellets (I guess they are Softwood), the film might just be from the softwood pellets you have mixed in.

I get similar sometimes, who knows. Just get one of those automotive inspection sticker scrapers and put a nice single edge razor blade in there. Just be careful and scrape it in nice wide swaths like mowing the lawn. I don't shut mine down to do it but I don't try to get mine super clean either. Mine gets dirty real quick most of the time but I do try to knock off the really dark stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.