What's Recommended R Value of Hearth Pad for an '80s-Era V.C. Resolute?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothing Like Wood

Nov 2, 2014
Maine
I'm installing a 1980s Resolute on a wood floor and can't find anything in the original manual that specifies a recommended R rating for the stoveboard or hearth pad. I'd prefer not to buy a readymade tile hearth because I don't like the look and they're expensive. The black stoveboards (e.g., Imperial) are also unattractive, and a high-quality one--thicker than the typical hardware store type--sized 46x48 is $225 at my local stove shop. The DIY solution I've been told is to make a "sandwich" of materials such as Micore, Durock, and sheet metal. In what order would these materials be put down? I may tile or lay stone some day so would prefer the Durock on top, but I think the manual specifies the sheet metal on top (which sounds like it would be unattractive and get dented). Another post had aluminum flashing between the layers of Durock to "spread out the heat"(?). Could I get a cheaper black stoveboard and put the legs on bricks? I've located a bottom heat shield that supposedly fits my model stove, but don't see why I should need it if the hearth is adequate. Is there any difference between the old stoves and new certified models in how hot the bottoms get?

Did you peek under the stove to see if by luck the stove had the bottom heat shield option?
It didn't. I ended up with a Type II black Imperial stoveboard with 3/4" Micore underneath. It was ugly and expensive (great!), but I was assured it was adequate and didn't want to put off the installation 'til I had something aesthetic built. I think the bottom shield might mount on the bolts attaching the legs; why couldn't one hook a piece of sheet metal onto the little lip there? Anyway, I'll monitor it closely and see. One of the old manuals for the Resolute III specifies 1-1/2" of ashes be left in the stove at all times for insulation.

Reactions: pen
My Resolute (same era, no heat shield) is on top of 1/2" Durock with 1/4" ceramic tile and wood floors underneath, I have never had a problem.

The manual recommends two sheets of 1/4" cement board or 24 ga sheet metal. I would think you could lay down 1/2" Durock and run it that way until you decide to tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.