What's the best way to clean this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I put my stainless steel liner in last fall when we bought the house, and I cleaned it in the spring and what a pain! I'd like to give it another scrub this weekend and just wondering what the simplest approach is? Take the pipes off the stove completely? Remove the last section where it goes into the brick chase only? It's such a pain with this setup having the tee cap inside the masonry....sticking the shop vac in there is the only way to get it out. Any suggestions appreciated!

EDIT: forgot to mention this is centrally located in our house and not on an outside wall.

Last edited:
That is a real nice setting for the PE. It looks great. I like the idea of an outdoor cleanout door.

C'mon now, you know how to clean that thing, you just want to show off your bad ass setup.

That's sweet!

Maybe you could take the piping off at the brick face and fabricate a catch that slides into the T followed by an attachment that you can connect your shop vac to. I'm sure you'll have a decent vacuum once you start cleaning from the top down. At least enough to catch any of the dust. maybe something like this...

cleanout slidein.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could take the piping off at the brick face and fabricate a catch that slides into the T followed by an attachment that you can connect your shop vac to. I'm sure you'll have a decent vacuum once you start cleaning from the top down. At least enough to catch any of the dust. maybe something like this...

View attachment 147287

Dude that is a sweet idea! Never thought of that at all! I suppose it could even be capped on the end and just let everything fall into it so to speak and pull it out and remove the contents. Come to think of it I bet a 2 litre pop bottle would work quite well.

The way you described it the way that we would clean it kind of a pain but not to bad usually

Dude that is a sweet idea! Never thought of that at all! I suppose it could even be capped on the end and just let everything fall into it so to speak and pull it out and remove the contents. Come to think of it I bet a 2 litre pop bottle would work quite well.

I'm glad you liked it

I bet a Soda bottle would work great! I'd like to know how it all works out once you try it out.

That's a beautiful setup! I'd use a shop vac and clean from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.