whats the best way to stack wood??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
so this is about a noob of a question as ever....but...

i stacked about a cord of wood, trying to lay it one way then the other, and my pile looks like crap... i can't see how any air is going to get to the middle... however, it's dry and seasoned so no worries on that pile..

but i got about 1.5-2 cords of cherry that was just split (felled 8 months ago, and cut into size then) how would i need to stack it to get maximum drying?

i have seen how people put 3 peices one way then 3 another... and soo on... but my sizes of wood vary and my stacks will probably turn into how my first 2 skids look... half falling over!

is there really a method or does one just figure this stuff out by trial and error? how much space or how loose do you need it to be...

close up pics would help

yes... this is my first season with a wood stove... i'll take some pics tonight of my wonderfull work

Save the nice straight 1/4 splits for those alternating direction 3/course. Build one of those at each end and fill in between with nice neat same direction infill. This method willl keep your stack from blowing out at the ends. Take your time, and from the side you are going to look at keep all split ends in line so it looks like each split is the same length. As you get near the top of the stack use all your 1/2 splits bark up to form a roof, all nice and neat.

i see... i didn't sort out the nice cuts... i just layed an entire row across 2 pallets one way, then built the next row the other way, but it wasn't even... haha

the cherry is going to be stacked on pallets, behind my shed and between a fence... so i'll have a shed on one side and a fence on two other sides leaving the only open spot on one end to have access to... is having that much protection on the sides going to stop the airflow? now the fence has 1/2 in spaces between the posts

You'll get alot of different answers from us woodjunkies. Some cover the top....some don't. Some criss cross.... some others don't. What matters
is........ getting it stacked off the ground, good air circulation (exposed to wind) and at least some sun exposure.

WoodButcher

hmm well where i can put it probably won't get much wind, and i've made a tarp cover about 2 feet off the top of the pile so the sun won't hit it... but with the tarp there the sun makes it feel like an oven under it...

Since 911 I've just piled my wood up and not stacked it...for years my stacked rolls of wood on pallets that would collapse or fall over for one reason or another. Now I pile the wood on a pad of run a crush...over the years the piles have grown longer and wider too. With piling there's less handeling, while splitting I just throw up the splits on the pile...DONE! My piles look like a jacked up HH...but they don't collapse...and they get higher than I've ever stacked wood before some are like 8+ft and I tarp them over in the fall. Of course I live out in the country...a huge pile of wood may not be socially acceptable in an urban area. But the times saved is incredible...in the past I've spent the same amt of time stacking as C&S;-ing. Thanks to piling I'm years ahead for usable wood cause I'm not dicking my time around with stacking neat piles that will soon be taken down to be burned.

well looks like i am thinking too much into this...

i'll stack it loosly, it ain't falling over unless it takes my fence or shed with it haha

Since 911 I’ve just piled my wood up and not stacked it...for years my stacked rolls of wood on pallets that would collapse or fall over for one reason or another. Now I pile the wood on a pad of run a crush...over the years the piles have grown longer and wider too. With piling there’s less handeling, while splitting I just throw up the splits on the pile...DONE! My piles look like a jacked up HH...but they don’t collapse...and they get higher than I’ve ever stacked wood before some are like 8+ft and I tarp them over in the fall. Of course I live out in the country...a huge pile of wood may not be socially acceptable in an urban area. But the times saved is incredible...in the past I’ve spent the same amt of time stacking as C&S;-ing. Thanks to piling I’m years ahead for usable wood cause I’m not dicking my time around with stacking neat piles that will soon be taken down to be burned.

savage, does it dry just as fast this way? I really like your idea. I go from the big pile of spits to the stacking but I would love to forget the stacking. I have a lot of property in the woods also. I only stack because I thought it dried faster that way. However, if it drys just as fast I will just pile . I generally split in the early spring for use in November. I would love to know
Scott

Only crisscross (box) the ends. If you box the whole thing, then irregular pieces can cause lean one way or another. By only boxing ends, you can just stack and use nice ones on the ends- throwing everything else in the middle as you go (no need to segregate before). If a piece is fatter on one end, then the next one that's fatter on one end should get stacked the opposite direction on top of the last one to even it out.

Once you've done it a couple of times, it's quite easy. Pallets or a good flat base helps.

ScottF said:
Since 911 I’ve just piled my wood up and not stacked it...for years my stacked rolls of wood on pallets that would collapse or fall over for one reason or another. Now I pile the wood on a pad of run a crush...over the years the piles have grown longer and wider too. With piling there’s less handeling, while splitting I just throw up the splits on the pile...DONE! My piles look like a jacked up HH...but they don’t collapse...and they get higher than I’ve ever stacked wood before some are like 8+ft and I tarp them over in the fall. Of course I live out in the country...a huge pile of wood may not be socially acceptable in an urban area. But the times saved is incredible...in the past I’ve spent the same amt of time stacking as C&S;-ing. Thanks to piling I’m years ahead for usable wood cause I’m not dicking my time around with stacking neat piles that will soon be taken down to be burned.

savage, does it dry just as fast this way?Scott

Scott my wood is piled in the sun and packed looser than a holtz heizen so yeah it dries but I've always been a year ahead since like forever. Every year I get wider and longer with the piles to find out it's limits but yes so far it has all seasoned well. I don't cover it till sometime in the late fall. Even then I really don't cover it... I make a tent that I can walk in with a wheelbarrow with...kind of cool being out in the wood tent when it snowing heavily. Me and yankee will be sitting in the tent sipping wine and smoking a cigar. I do bury the tripod saplings holding up the tent so the wind doesn't carry it away. It's pretty long I'm thinking you could park 3 cars end to end and easily stand up in it. I'll post some pics so you can check it out...but I have to figure out how to do that.

Practice. Practice. Practice. As a matter of fact, come the end of September all of my wood needs to be put in the garage so you can come by my place and I'll give you some pointers. When you get done with all 4 cord you'll be like a Pro! :coolsmile:

How thick is your pad of crush and run?

Status
Not open for further replies.