What's the biggest tree you ever felled with a chansaw ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My very first felled tree was about two or three inches wider than my 16 inch Sears saw (about 32cc) could reach across from both directions, so I'm guessing about 35 inches. It was a great big Water Oak that had been hit by lightning a couple years earlier. I was really scared, too. I knew the 'theory' from reading a lot on this website but doing it for real is much different from reading about it. My cuts were not pretty and it took a long time because I'd cut a few inches then step back to make sure the thing wasn't going to fall on my head. Suddenly, I began to hear a low cracking sound and that tree fell exactly where I wanted it to, which was the only clearing large enough to handle that big tree. I felt pretty proud of myself.

dog is thinking "hmm, I could still hit this stump."

Only got a chainsaw about 3 years ago and and have not sawed down any trees with it. Had already taken down all the other big trees on my property with an axe or hired someone to take it down. Biggest tree I felled was a 22" weeping cherry with an axe. Cut off all the branches with a bowsaw before delivering the final blows. My lot was originally part of a farm and the folks who built the house in the 1950s left inappropriately sized trees which were potential hazards. The trees I have now are dogwoods, a newly sprung weeping cherry, Japanese maples, and lots of fruit trees (Asian pears, Bartlett pear, three types of Asian persimmons, pomegranate, and too many figs).

8' Hemlock with a Stihl 660 Magnum and 46" bar. Took 45 mins and 2 tanks of gas to get it on the ground.

Reactions: albert1029
6 cord silver maple.jpg

Pucker up 63 inchs! Hi ho silver and a some what hollow trunk._g oh and a 93 chevy s-10 for the mussle! ;)

Reactions: albert1029
Watched my father-in-law (longtime lumberjack) drop a 60+" ash with my Stihl 361 and a 20" bar. Cut his notch, did a couple plunges and fan cuts, then sent her home. Was impressive to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.