What's the difference? Authentic Jotul118 <--> Made in Taiwan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesteader

Sep 1, 2008
Northern Michigan
I posted a question and I can't find a definite answer using the search function. All I'm reading is they are crap, crap, crap from every poster but no one is explaining the difference between the two.

On inspection. How can you tell which one is a real Jotul? Does anyone really even know how to tell them apart?

By the lack of responses, I'm going to assume that no one here even knows the difference. If that's the case, there can be no dispute as to the safety of said woodstove. If it's an exact replica who cares if it was made in Taiwan. Works the same, looks the same. All the same to me in my book. I don't want to freeze to death this winter so I really don't have a choice.

Jotul casting quality is far better than the Chinese castings.

There have actually been a number of very responsive replies from some very knowledgeable forum members, including our esteemed webmaster, in the previous thread about the differences between the genuine Jotuls and the cheap copies. There's a flaw in your logic...they are not exact replicas. Close inspection is warranted...starting with the name cast into the unit, and proceeding to a detailed assessment of the quality of construction, fit & finish, and current condition. Go look closely at a real Jotul first, then compare what you saw to what you see when you inspect this unit. If you're not qualified to make such an inspection, then find someone who is before you buy this thing and put into your home and build a fire in it. Rick

EDIT: BTW, I've got a beautiful Rolex for sale cheap, you wanna have a look at it?

I personally wouldn`t buy a "knock-off" insert. but if you like it-go for it-light it up! Just make sure you say your prayers every night before bedtime. :smirk:

fossil said:
starting with the name cast into the unit, and proceeding to a detailed assessment of the quality of construction, fit & finish, and current condition.

Detail? Link to details? I need specifics please. A detailed explanation on how to tell them apart would be very nice. The original Jotul 118 is discontinued right? Even if I found a real one to compare it to, which I won't before Friday. Who's to say that the one I'm comparing it to isn't a fake also. The other post you mentioned didn't offer any specifics.

I'm not a watch kinda guy but thanks for the offer. :)

It's not an insert. It's a cast iron box. It's not like it's a delicate piece of electronics. They made duplicate casts of the original components and recast them in iron. I'm sorry but it's not exactly rocket science.

Franklin Stove Works on the plate and Taiwan cast into the stove pretty much tell you all you need to know. What you saw in the other post was Craig who sold stoves back then telling you that they were dangerous pieces of crap. I didn't buy one back then because even then we knew they were dangerous pieces of crap. Pacific Rim castings have only in the last five years become anywhere near acceptable quality for axles on tractors. In 1984 they damn sure weren't acceptable for something to light a fire in in your house. I burned in a 55 gallon drum in the basement rather than buy one.

But you are going to buy the stove anyway. There isn't any answer that you are looking for. Enjoy the stove.

Homesteader said:
It's a cast iron box. It's not like it's a delicate piece of electronics. They made duplicate casts of the original components and recast them in iron. I'm sorry but it's not exactly rocket science.

Exactly. It's just a cast iron box. One in which you're going to entrust the safety of yourself and your family. What sort of iron did they use? What was the quality (purity, composition) of the material? What casting practices did they follow? What was the cooling schedule? How many steps in the fitting & finishing? What measures did they use to ensure tight seams....and on and on and on. You're right, it's not rocket science...but it is materials science and mechanical engineering and industrial engineering and a whole lot of quality control. Be careful, and good luck. Rick

BrotherBart said:
Franklin Stove Works on the plate and Taiwan cast into the stove pretty much tell you all you need to know.

Now here is something I can use. So all I need to do is look for "Taiwan" cast into the stove somewhere. Is it in the same location on all these stoves. If so, where? I don't know the nomenclature. What is the "plate" that says Franklin Stove Works?

Sorry that you misinterpreted the message I was trying to convey. I'm just trying to play devils advocate.

If it is indeed the latter. I'll trust the experienced people here who took the time to answer, and not purchase it. Thanks for giving me the information I need to make a positive ID on this stove. I'll report back tomorrow if they let me have another look at it. If not, I'll update Friday.

Thanks For Your Help,

Homesteader said:
BrotherBart said:
Franklin Stove Works on the plate and Taiwan cast into the stove pretty much tell you all you need to know.

Now here is something I can use. So all I need to do is look for "Taiwan" cast into the stove somewhere. Is it in the same location on all these stoves. If so, where? I don't know the nomenclature. What is the "plate" that says Franklin Stove Works?

Sorry that you misinterpreted the message I was trying to convey. I'm just trying to play devils advocate.

If it is indeed the latter. I'll trust the experienced people here who took the time to answer, and not purchase it. Thanks for giving me the information I need to make a positive ID on this stove. I'll report back tomorrow if they let me have another look at it. If not, I'll update Friday.

Thanks For Your Help,

They called themselves Franklin Stove Works or Franklin Cast Products. I don't remember which. The plate is the certification plate with the certification number and the required clearances listed. Without it no inspector on the planet is going to issue a permit for the stove installation. It was there at one time. Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.