What's the ideal propane tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

applewood

Jul 25, 2008
southern ontario
I'm going to look at some 1000 gal propane tanks this aft and would like to know from those who have gone this route .... what's your advice on what to look for in the ideal tank? thanks

A new one without the smelly stuff in it. Ive had mine for months now outside, filled it with Water and bleach several times and it still stinks. I know once its in and running it wont smell cause its a CLOSED system but you always end up spilling alittle water and whatever it touches will stink for months, in the house!

I ended up buying two new tanks for exactly the reason mentioned above. Didn't want to deal with the nasty stuff propane leaves behind. On the other hand - you have to work to find a dealer willing to sell new tanks to you. It's a catch 22....

As far as what to look for - I wish my tanks had fittings on the bottom so I didn't have to mess with a dip tube. I also wish I had more than one 1.5" connection. Other than that I'm quite pleased...

What did the new tanks cost? I take it you have two 500 gal tanks.

I paid $1300 per 500 gallon tank, delivered. I think that is pretty typical...

Reese Eshun said:
mpilihp said:
A new one without the smelly stuff in it. Ive had mine for months now outside, filled it with Water and bleach several times and it still stinks. I know once its in and running it wont smell cause its a CLOSED system but you always end up spilling alittle water and whatever it touches will stink for months, in the house!
is bleach the proper solvent? may be an oil based chemical which stinx the propane, dont know. adios pantalones is a chemist & may have good info for this.

My military buddy was saying just that ...and we were trying to think of what solvent would deal with an oil based product best?
Seems some experimenting with an old 20 lb tank is in order.

3% hydrogen peroxide solution will work best to remove mercaptan from most surfaces. It needs to react with oxygen to break down. Peroxiacetic acid would also work, but may be too strong a solution.
Your experiment with bleach may have created a further problem in that mercaptan will react to sodium hypochlorite to form acidic compounds. However, I suspect the concentration of bleach in the tank was too low to cause damage.
Either way, it will be costly to clean a tank. Time and exposure to the air would work, but could take years.
FYI, mercaptan is related to the chemical that makes a skunk smell so bad. Maybe fill the tank with tomato juice? :)

Hmmm I got the info on cleaning with Bleach from this forum awhile back. So a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide will remove the stink huh? Fill it with water and 3% hydrogen peroxide and leave it? For how long??

Thanks ~ Phil

whats the typical price of used ones?
im going to ask at work if they have any large old air compressor tanks of some sort...or any kind of tanks for that matter...

88rxn/a said:
whats the typical price of used ones?

I've seen $1/gallon thrown out a lot on the forum. I got lucky and got mine for free, though I'd happily pay $1/gallon for another 500 gallon one. Maybe with the price of steel going down, there will be more luck buyi8ng up the used ones.

I used bleach and water in the tank let sit for 2 weeks while i did my welding then drained and rinsed and now clean. I capped the tanks till I moved them in the basement then just start plumbing.

My tank is a 1963, 45 years of mercaptan , just taken out of service. I drilled my holes, pressure washed the inside aired out for a few days then we welded it. Very faint smell of gas when it was being filled. I blew my pressure relief and didn't smell any odor in the water. I don't see what the panic is all about regarding the smell. If I had the room for a 1000 gal tank I would have gone that route too.

Status
Not open for further replies.