What's the temp on your double wall pipe coming off the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskwoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
Ever since I bought a hand held temp gun, I go crazy checking temps everywhere's, I can't help it. Just wondering what kind of temperatures you guys read on your double wall pipe coming up off the stove, in the first 12 inches. Normal fire, raging fire, and way into the coaling stage.

I seem to bounce from lows of 170- 200 F while I'm letting the coals burn way down, up to 310-315 F when she's settled in and the air cut back on a nice burn. Obviously it doesn't mean much, but someone humor me okay?:)

Howdy. I use a thermocouple and digital readout set up to monitor my double wall flue gas temps inside the the pipe at about 36" above the stove collar. I'm hitting 750 to 800 F (sometimes a bit higher if I get stupid and put too much wood in the stove) on startups which settle down after a while into the 600 F range for cruising.... If I'm around I try to open the air wide open during the coaling stage; I guess that would bring the flue back up to maybe 300 to 350 F........

I guess I should have been clear, looking for the outside of the double wall pipe.

Yeah, sorry, I couldn't help myself; I haven't had anything meaningful to say here for quite a long time, so.... so I guess I'm still in that same boat........ ;sick :)

I typically multiply the double wall outside temp to get a rough estimate of inside temp. The hottest point on the pipe gets to 300 df on an initial load, settling to 250 and cruising there for a few hours. I put a magnetic thermometer on the stovetop right in front of the stack. I know I should put a probe thermometer in the pipe, but I have had good luck thus far. Watching the fire and being used to how she burns along with the rough numbers have worked very well for us, and I see very little creosote.

From 80C to over 120C at the 45's, 3ft above the stove top. 80-100C is typically when I close by-pass and shut her down.

ICC Ultrablack.

Yeah, sorry, I couldn't help myself; I haven't had anything meaningful to say here for quite a long time, so.... so I guess I'm still in that same boat........ ;sick :)

Be interesting if you could zap it with an IR gun, and see what the in/out diff is.

Be interesting if you could zap it with an IR gun, and see what the in/out diff is.

Yeah, I've got an IR gun, so I'll just go ahead and do that and get back to you! Hey, that means I'll have something meaningful to add to the discussion!!!

Ok, so I just finished reloading and establishing the stove for the overnight burn, and after getting everything cookin nice and hot I'm reading 761 F for my direct flue gas reading (it's actually 4' up from the stove top, not 3' as I said earlier) and the IR gun at the exact same level is reading 230 F. The stove has been holding the same internal flue temps for at least half an hour now, and over that time I've done multiple checks on the outside of the double wall with the IR gun and it's stayed almost perfectly constant (+/- 2 degrees). The stove top is holding around 690 F. So there ya have it, the external reading isn't quite 1/3 of the inside reading, for whatever that's worth.......

Cheers

Just wondering what kind of temperatures you guys read on your double wall pipe coming up off the stove, in the first 12 inches.

I am wondering how much of that heat is coming from the stovetop when measured so close to the outlet instead of giving any indication about the flue temps. How do those numbers compare to the temps further up?

Does anyone know the correct emissivity setting for flat black stove pipe?

I have an infrared pyrometer for tires from my hotrod days, but I specifically bought one with no emissivity adjustment, one less thing to check on pit row.

Well hmmm. My infrared tire pyrometer came up with +58dF on my black carhartts in the garage that is heated to +55dF.

At the stove collar I read +246dF, 1 foot up the pyrometer says +238dF compared to +220ish per the stick on magnet, at the ceiling connector the infrared is saying 199-200dF.

I am wondering how much of that heat is coming from the stovetop when measured so close to the outlet instead of giving any indication about the flue temps. How do those numbers compare to the temps further up?

Hard to say how much the temp would be affected from the stove top. That first 12 inches off the stove pipe is always hotter. I just got a small fire settled in (40 % load) and air cut back, around 265 F in the first 12 inches, anywhere between 225-240 F going up to the adapter. Probably drop down a bit in a while.

Ever since I bought a hand held temp gun, I go crazy checking temps everywhere's, I can't help it. Just wondering what kind of temperatures you guys read on your double wall pipe coming up off the stove, in the first 12 inches. Normal fire, raging fire, and way into the coaling stage.

I seem to bounce from lows of 170- 200 F while I'm letting the coals burn way down, up to 310-315 F when she's settled in and the air cut back on a nice burn. Obviously it doesn't mean much, but someone humor me okay?:)

I use an IR, Stovetop, & thermometer on the outside wall of my double walled pipe. I find I burn best when its running around 200 on the stove pipe (I have read a rough estimate inside is just to simply double that temp-which based on IR reading from collar going into stove seem fairly close). I try to keep it below 200 for the most part, but trips to 650-700 have seen 300 once or twice. most of the time it only gets to about 225-250 tho with the air cut off when stove top is around 650-700.

(I have read a rough estimate inside is just to simply double that temp-which based on IR reading from collar going into stove seem fairly close).

That's only true for single wall pipe. For double-wall outside readings are not really that indicative of actual flue temp. You will need a probe thermometer if you really want to know your flue temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.