Whats the worst thing you have done to your saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Whats the worst thing you have done to your saw by carelessness? Last Monday went out after some Criag list wood. Had the Dolmar 5100 in the bed of the truck along with helmet. chaps in the cab. The wood was no good, then picked my son up. Came home forgot about the saw. It rained all week. Thursday could not find the saw in the garage, looked in the bed of the truck the water was up over the gas and oil fill caps. I was lucky. The water had noy gotten in the carburetor. My Dad once backed over his saw and broke it.

Dear god!

I would have freaked.... Glad to hear to major damage was done.

Last weekend I was cutting down a tree on my back property line (or at least trying). Embedded into the tree (under the bark) was a full chain link fence wrapped around the tree..... Didn't hurt the saw, but my chain sure didn't like it.

Started a new timber job and the grass where we were going to land logs was pretty high. Pulled a turn out and was bucking the last log when someone stoped by to BS. Set saw down in grass to talk . When done BSing jumped on skidder and pushed up the deck of logs. Needless to say I had a new saw the next day and a few spare parts.
Never set another saw down again unless it was on the tailgate of truck or on skidder.

got it pinch cutting a leaner out of another tree lost my grip and the saw flew 20 ft(28inbar) just missing the leaner by about a foot or two.The saw was brand new that day!

I give up. You guys are more dumb than I. But I was in my brothers office and saw him shoot his computer three times. one into the monitor, one into the keyboard, and one into the computer. That was cool.

To the saw, cut through the first log on a pile at a construction site. The big chunk of concrete was well covered by the logs. The life of that chain from the store to the trash bin was a little over an hour.

Free wood my ass!

I was helping a guy get a tree out of a running creek. He had cut a few limbs off and set the saw down while it was still running to get the limbs out of the way. As he was pulling, a limb pushed the saw over and it rolled into the water and went under while running. That gaulded it up tight and it never ran again.

Last year I cut into a 28"+ Red Fir and ran into some fencing in one of the cuts embedded in the wood. It munched my chain up pretty good and that chain is now a spare one. I should have noticed that on one side of the log part of the wire was sticking out.

smokinj said:
got it pinch cutting a leaner out of another tree lost my grip and the saw flew 20 ft(28inbar) just missing the leaner by about a foot or two.The saw was brand new that day!

Now that would have made the hi-lite reel for "funniest home video".

[quote author="johnsopi" date="1223160778"]Whats the worst thing you have done to your saw by carelessness?quote]

Well...not by carelessness...sorda....but when my 046 was brand new I was dumping a 175 year old white oak aaaaaaaaaaaand I kinda pinched the bar (bad hinge cut), the tree rolled and my new saw ended up between the butt of the tree and the ground :sick: Luckily the ground was a freshly plowed farm field so I only needed about $80 in parts to fix it. So I guess I got a bit careless on my cuts.

woodconvert said:
johnsopi said:
Whats the worst thing you have done to your saw by carelessness?quote]

Well...not by carelessness...sorda....but when my 046 was brand new I was dumping a 175 year old white oak aaaaaaaaaaaand I kinda pinched the bar (bad hinge cut), the tree rolled and my new saw ended up between the butt of the tree and the ground :sick: Luckily the ground was a freshly plowed farm field so I only needed about $80 in parts to fix it. So I guess I got a bit careless on my cuts.

It can only happen to a new saw ya know.

Didn't happen to me, but it did happen to my dad . . . he had a foster kid who dumped a bunch of Bondo into the gas tank without him knowing. Needless to say, the saw had to have some work done to it (and a new gas tank) before it would run again.

Following a guy with a small flatbed trailer of wood down the highway, bouncing around at the rear was his husky cs, it slid off perfectly right side up and slid what seemed like forever. I slowed down and it came to rest right in front of me, he was unaware, chased him down after considerable effort, extremely grateful. Saw had serious road rash on the bottom only, started right up!

I heard this one from a saw shop mechanic , Amish guy came to saw shop and saw was in two pieces. Shop owner asked how he got his saw to that condition. Said he got it pinched and did not have a way to unpinch it , so he hooked up the horses to pull out the saw.

Had a buddy I was cutting with move my truck while we were cutting. He laid his saw down got in my truck and ran over my (then) new stihl 025. I never took the saw to the shop for repairs though it cracked the case. That was 16 years ago and I've replaced the fuel line twice but never the bar or spark plug. It just likes to run.

Well, I baby my new Husky along pretty good...worst thing there was probably hitting some barbed wire or a rock with the chain. Now my old craftsman saw...it came to the end of the jet skiing season but I still had some premix left for the jet skis, so I though why not burn it up in the saw cutting wood. Well, apparently marine 2-stoke oil (meant to run in a water cooled engine) doesn't work too well in an air cooled saw. I know, it seems pretty obvious in retrospect, but I thought I was doing a good thing by feeding it the synthetic oil! Anyway, it ran for about 45 minutes before the cylinder and rings were so galled up it lost compression and died. I never realized what a miserable under-performing saw that was until I switched to the Husky. I'm actually sorta glad it died!

The city removed a swamp maple at the street while cutting this tree with a 3' trunk he hit something with the saw? He adjusted his cut when the trunk was opened up there was a horse shoe in the center. The tree was at least 150 years old. Not stupid just interesting!

I have to say running them over with a skidder. That pretty much wipes out the whole saw.

cozy heat said:
Well, I baby my new Husky along pretty good...worst thing there was probably hitting some barbed wire or a rock with the chain. Now my old craftsman saw...it came to the end of the jet skiing season but I still had some premix left for the jet skis, so I though why not burn it up in the saw cutting wood. Well, apparently marine 2-stoke oil (meant to run in a water cooled engine) doesn't work too well in an air cooled saw. I know, it seems pretty obvious in retrospect, but I thought I was doing a good thing by feeding it the synthetic oil! Anyway, it ran for about 45 minutes before the cylinder and rings were so galled up it lost compression and died. I never realized what a miserable under-performing saw that was until I switched to the Husky. I'm actually sorta glad it died!
I'm surprised that there much differants in 2 stoke oils. Maybe the ratio was differant. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.