What's this bug?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snydley

Mar 7, 2008
Dansville NY (upstate)
We've had a 1/2 dozen of these show up in the house lately, after bringing some wood in from outside. Anyone have any idea what they are? Hopefully I sized it right, if not I apologize.
Snyde

Attachments

• bug2.JPG
    bug2.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 845
It almost looks like a stink bug (pine beatle). Does it smell like pine when you get near it or kill it?

Aren't the pine bugs brown?

DWW68 said:
It almost looks like a stink bug (pine beatle). Does it smell like pine when you get near it or kill it?
There is no softwood in my woodpile, but there are a lot of pine trees at my neighbor's place,(he sells Christmas trees). After looking at images on the Net of Stink Bugs and Pine Beetles it doesn't look like either of those either. It's a lot more slender than those bugs. One thing I forgot to mention in my original post, the width of the "board" of the flooring that the bug is standing on is 2.5 inches.
Snyde

Longhorn beetle. I've had two of them come in with some culled Poplar.

Do they look like this?

2979608175_d1d709aa5d_b.jpg

LLigetfa said:
Do they look like this?

2979608175_d1d709aa5d_b.jpg

That's the critter!! Although when I do a search for Longhorn beetle none of the pictures look exactly like this bug. Are there different varieties of them maybe? Do I have to worry about them infesting the house if they come in with the wood? So far there's only been a half dozen or so, not a big deal. I find they fly quite well too, though not fast.
Thanks for the info.
Snyde

Well I don't know what type of bug they are exactly . . . but I'm Ewell Gibbons and I'm here to tell you that these bugs are good eating . . . I sprinkle them on top of my cat tail salad like croutons. ;) :)

Jamess67 said:
Looks like an ash borer.

I agree, had about a cord of ash that I split and when it got warm this year I had hundreds of those on the pile. I looked at the online pictures of the ash borer and it didn't match that but I don't know what else would have been on my ash pile.

rdust said:
Jamess67 said:
Looks like an ash borer.

I agree, had about a cord of ash that I split and when it got warm this year I had hundreds of those on the pile. I looked at the online pictures of the ash borer and it didn't match that but I don't know what else would have been on my ash pile.

Thats where I found mine too. luckily my wood and bugs were still frozen

Hopefully a dead bug before the wife saw it on your hardwood floor.

Here is a link with some good pictures showing the borer and some look-alikes.

Emerald Ash Borer

I had them in some Hickory I had last year. They burn well.

It's a Locust borer, true story. Bad bug, burns well enough... if you have Locust in the area that you'd like to keep standing it's best to kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.