whats this sheet metal on the bottom of my Shelburne?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
I looked through the manual and there is no mention of what this is. Is it required? Is it a heat shield? Please ignore the dirt on it I havent cleaned it off - the remnants of a flood that was a few inches deep.

shelburne2_800.jpg

Sure looks like a bottom heat shield. Don't lose that label. It should be reglued to the back of the rear heat shield.

BeGreen said:
Sure looks like a bottom heat shield. Don't lose that label. It should be reglued to the back of the rear heat shield.

Actually the label is metal and it is attached to every Hearthstone stove with a thin cable/wire (you can see it in the picture). It kind of like an over-sized metal flash card for your stove.

But, yeah, it looks like a bottom heat shield.

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

Actually the label is metal and it is attached to every Hearthstone stove with a thin cable/wire (you can see it in the picture). It kind of like an over-sized metal flash card for your stove.

You've got to be kidding me. Surely that will guarantee it will never get lost of separated from the stove.

BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

You've got to be kidding me. Surely that will guarantee it will never get lost of separated from the stove.

I found it to be odd as well.

BrowningBAR said:

+1 with you there Browning. bottom heat sheild

As far as the tag I think attaching it this way is better than any other option. You can't rivet it to the stove since they are stone.

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

I found it to be odd as well.

That's probably so an owner can read the label easily after the unit is installed in a corner etc. No mirror and flashlight required. Just pull it out and read it where you can see it. Just a guess.

It's a bottom heat shield -- just put the factory one on my Jotul last week. And it's always a little unbelievable how many things they leave OUT of wood stove manuals!

shawneyboy - actually thats a cast iron model but they probably attach the cast iron and stone ones the same for consistency.

So I looked again through the manual and also through the optional accessories and can't find anything. There is a rear heat shield accessory but this is on the bottom. Is it required? Considered part of the stove? I'm concerend of my old brick hearth being up to the R value for the Shelburne. I dont have money to re do the hearth this year. I've already pulled out the big monster stove out of the house, not sure what if anything is under the brick hearth but would ease my worries some if this was actually a heat shield.

shawneyboy said:
BrowningBAR said:

As far as the tag I think attaching it this way is better than any other option. You can't rivet it to the stove since they are stone.

This is a Shelburne castiron stove.

BeGreen said:
shawneyboy said:
BrowningBAR said:

This is a Shelburne castiron stove.

OOPS

I have a Vanguard gas log stove (for sale, used to be my wife's, before we got married) and it, too, has a metal tag that same size, attached with wire to the back of the stove. I just assumed it was a regulatory requirement, so that new owners would have some idea what they're buying. In the case of the Vanguard, it's important that it be used only with natural gas and not propane/LP.

The metal plate is item #16 on the exploded parts diagram for the Shelburne...bottom heatshield.

DanCorcoran said:
I have a Vanguard gas log stove (for sale, used to be my wife's, before we got married) and it, too, has a metal tag that same size, attached with wire to the back of the stove. I just assumed it was a regulatory requirement, so that new owners would have some idea what they're buying. In the case of the Vanguard, it's important that it be used only with natural gas and not propane/LP.

Problem with it hanging off the leg is that most folks are going to cut it off. The reduces the odds of it staying with the stove if it is resold a few years later.

That hanging tag with the cable is the way Jotul puts the label on all of their gas stoves.

Even though the back of the stove is sheet metal and they could just rivet it on. But then you wouldn't be able to read the other full page of stuff on the back of it. :smirk:

DanCorcoran said:
The metal plate is item #16 on the exploded parts diagram for the Shelburne...bottom heatshield.
Is the exploded diagram online? Just curious because my manual doesnt have one and I looked on there website and downloaded the pdf's and dont see one. If you had a link I'd like to have it. But still the question remains is this bottom heat shield required or is it extra to reduce hearth requirements?

I tried to attach the pdf file to my post (as with a photo), but it said only image file-types were allowed. I'll try attaching it to a PM to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.