What's This?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
It came with my boiler, but since I don't know what it is, I never tried to install it. Don't tell me that it's critical to boiler operation, because I know better. At least I think I do......

Attachments

• mysterycomponent.jpg
    mysterycomponent.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 370
Eric Johnson said:
It came with my boiler, but since I don't know what it is, I never tried to install it. Don't tell me that it's critical to boiler operation, because I know better. At least I think I do......

Unless I'm badly mistaken, that's a thermistor, which you could connect to the EKO controller in place of a house thermostat. It's epoxy-encapsulated, so it must be good. Worth about $1.50 on the open market.

I don't see any purpose in it - it would be a very strange way to use the boiler.

If you think I'm gauche with the epoxy, nofossil, you should check out the Gorilla Glue crowd. They make us mix-it-up guys look classy, if you can believe that.

Can you elaborate a bit on how you would use it to replace a house thermostat? Does it sense ambient temp? Can it be set? What would be a typical application for this thing?

Eric, when I asked Dave about that thing he told me exactly what nofossil is saying. You somehow tie it into the controller and use the thermostat on the controller for room temperature settings. I do not understand how that thing can sense temperature so I just used a regular thermostat for the area that my boiler is in. I think the polish keep there technology a little too simple to understand how things work.

There's a knob on the left side of the EKO controller with a picture of a house. On the back of the controller, there are terminals to connect the thermistor. You would put it in some central space in your house, set the knob on the EKO, and it would control the boiler to maintain house temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.