Whats up with my furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
I know, I don't have a stove but a EPA woodfurnace. I am posting here because there aren't any fireboxes like mine on furnaces. Everytime I had gone on the roof, I noticed that I was seeing more creosote than I wanted to. Even then its nothing compared to the old furnace. After I would load my furnace, I would open the damper for a 1/2 hour before shutting down the damper. Normally the secondaries after shutting down are weak and it takes some time before things level out.

I have been reading about epa stoves being tested with 15' chimneys. I have a 32' chimney with a 5.5" rigid liner. Had a barometric damper, and eliminated it due to the cooler temps. My secondary ports are on the front of the furnace. No matter where I put my damper, the furnace seemed to burn somewhat fast. Overnight isn't a problem, but I suspected something wasn't right.

Tonight I decided to play with the air ports on the furnace. The fire was plenty hot and when I closed the damper there wasn't much secondary action. When I placed my hands on the front openings of the secondary ports, the baffle lit up like a christmas tree. It seems that there either is too much air entering the furnace due to a taller chimney, or its not preheating properly. I do have a damper in the flue which is putting my draft speeds where they are needed I knew that was okay. Now the front ports for the secondary air are 75% closed, and the furnace is burning like I have never seen before. Before I had my main damper adjusted so it was cracked open a hair to allow for the fire to burn hotter. Now its completely closed and burning better. I think too much secondary air was cooling things. Does this sound right? I also closed some of the zipper air off. Here is a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-2MBZAMt1s

Status
Not open for further replies.