what's up with my maples?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor

Jan 13, 2015
Ontario
Hey all,

I'm located in Southern Ontario, this spring for some reason I'm noticing these spots on my maples, no open sores like a canker.

Anybody know what these could be?

Thanks in advance,

IMAG0763.jpg

Usually wood eating bugs lay eggs in the bark and when they hatch they bore into the wood usually eating just inside the bark. But they arent that visible.
You have alot of sap coming out.
Take a pocket knife and see if you can go after whatever it is. And get it out.
There is a bark beetle that can completely girdle maples and one bug can kill a tree. Dont know what they are.

Slime flux / alcohol flux...?

In the white foamy stuff appears to be a gold and black winged beetle. In the foam below the yellow.
I took a screen shot of it and circled it but dont have a good signal/connection to send you back your pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.