What's up with pellet prices ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
Last season I did not burn too many pellets: the price of oil was just to low. I burnt only here and there while watching football games.

I imagined many did the same so I thought that this season with prices for oil still rather low that pellet prices would have slumped a little.

Last week I noticed that WalMart is selling the MWP for $4.76 a bag. The per ton price was up there also.
I will buy MWP as a shoulder pellet as they don't crank out the heat, and are rather dirty in my stove.
I had been buying them for $3.98 a bag.

Looking around at other dealers pellet prices they all it seem to have crept up from last year.

Their hope is eternal but if the winter temps are above average, prices will tumble whether they like it or not. To me, the big change is the U.S. capacity to produce oil is better and the price of oil has remained low. As soon as oil creeps up, wells in the U.S. will get turned on. We didn't have that leverage before and some pellet providers have been understandably slow in reacting to this. All good, they can keep their wholesale prices where they are but they'll bear the consequences if they guess wrong, same as any business.

Pellet prices are not low this time of year, they are low in March/April. Beginning of cold weather is always the highest priced.....buy end of season for almost any product on earth to get the best deals imho.

Pellet prices are not low this time of year, they are low in March/April. Beginning of cold weather is always the highest priced.....buy end of season for almost any product on earth to get the best deals imho.
I agree. Bought last year when prices bottomed out. Bought Green Team at $1.99 a bag when early in the year they wanted 6.95 a bag. Same thing will happen this year if we have a warm winter.

Reactions: Peterfield
Big box stores are holding the price up right now. If you want pellets now find a small guy that sells pellets as we are selling for a fair price. However sales are very slow this year because people had a lot left over and the wholesalers/mills did not come down much on there price. It will all depend on the type of winter we have this year. Foamit up

Reactions: jackhammer
I realize that prices in the fall are higher with the heating season close at hand.
I did not notice any great sales last spring.
Local places around here seem to be up about $47 a ton. With oil as low as it is I think these prices are going to kill the golden goose.

I wish that were true in my area. Right now is the peak sale period for pellets. Which dies off around thanksgiving. After that prices stay high through out the winter and into the following spring. This has never made any sense to me along with why pellet prices have continually gone up.

To the point now that they are no longer the most cost effective way to heat a house. With some sales right now I was able to get some junk pellets at $4.17 so I picked up 2 ton. But after the sales end these same junk pellets will be $4.69 and the good stuff is well over $5 now. They must not have a problem selling at this price. But they will loose a customer if the average price creeps over $5, I'll go back to cutting my own wood.

When I bought in the spring, prices were down about $35 per ton for the same pellets (Turman, Barefoot) that I purchased the spring before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
$4.76 a bag?!? Of the big box stores around here, TSC is lowest at $5.19/bag. HD is $5.38/bag ($259/ton) for Stove Chows. Lowe's is higher around $5.49 for Cheat River.

Looking online, Walmart around these parts is $5.64/bag for Pennington. But I have check it out in person to see if it's actually Pennington.

At the end of the season last year, I think Lowe's was selling Natures Own for $3.99/bag. Too bad I didn't have the ability to stock up then.

Our local WM hasn't got pellets in yet.

bob

I can't believe how expensive wood pellets . com is.

they want close to 400 a ton for douglas fir

thats crazy. It's nice to have options with stove and oil. but oil wins out and my pellets won't go bad sitting.

Sometimes your time and the maintenance of your stove has to be in the price, of the heat in your home.
The other cape, and the location you live is a factor on your other heat, and the temp you like that heat to be
in that home at the cape.
Good luck
Ed

In Nova Scotia prices seem to be locked in around $6/bag ($300/ton) Cdn. Even Costco is charging $$5.89! Higher than is past years but when electric heat is the only alternative even at that price it's still the most cost effective option.

Status
Not open for further replies.