What's wrong with child labor....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Burning Hunk
Dec 8, 2013
Rhode Island
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I bto ught a load home from the golf course this weekend. Paid my two boys 50 cents to unload my truck and stack it. Last night the tree guys calls me with some standing dead maple. Paid them another 50 cents for this unload. They did have their friends over to help......not bad for a few bucks!

Sounds like the cheapest way possible to build some work ethic! Did you tip with ice cream?

I cashed in a Christmas coupon for "chores" from my step daughter. My deal was... 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours after lunch, and if there are zero complaints, we go for ice cream at the expensive place. She wanted to start while it was drizzling. It was a good day!

Nothing wrong with that! It's how my father got me started as a kid.

Growing up everyone in the family helped with the wood . . . whether it was loading it up on the woods trailer, splitting it, stacking it or (when we got older) bucking it up. No one got paid . . . but we all stayed warm in the winter.

Reactions: fespo and D8Chumley
so you did not pay your daughter?? or she was not forced to work??

I remember back when I was 4 or 5 running around the log piles while my dad hand split everything, he made a cool log fort stack. Of course he didn't have a clue about burning (city guy) so mid winter the old fischer burning green wood resulted in a chimney fire, fire dept came and that's what sparked my interest in becoming a fire fighter. LOL the memories

Nice job dad. Teach them to value hard work and they'll do well as adults.

Reactions: fespo
so you did not pay your daughter?? or she was not forced to work??
Nope... No pay! She gave me a coupon for work for Christmas. So... I had her run the hydraulics on the splitter. The most painful part of the experience came as she was not allowed to have her phone with her.

Reactions: Seanm and D8Chumley
green wood resulted in a chimney fire, fire dept came and that's what sparked my interest in becoming a fire fighter.
Life events shaping the person you would become... Good to have the young ones helping with the heating chores as it gives them a whole new appreciation of staying warm in the winter while being a contributing member of the family. I like the ice cream incentive but then I like ice cream;lol

You guys are right. Nothing wrong with kids learning values of hard work. Here is my daughter at the age of 2
image.jpg

Reactions: osagebow
camsm.JPG camtractorsm.jpg
Nothing wrong with teaching a work ethic. Also nothing wrong with having a little fun while doing it.....
The grand kids love it. These pics are of the same grandson. You can see he isn't new to it...

Awesomeness, all of it !!

Teach 'em young !!

You pay yours? You are a lot nicer than me...although, after the 4 cord I do recall some ice cream celebration.

Same thing here. No allowance here....it teaches them welfare. If you want money you have to work for it. I have two boys that are 5 and 7. They save up for Lego sets by helping around the house. They are pretty good at moving firewood.

you paid them? I tell mine if they want to eat they have to work. If its a bigger job i'll throw in some ice cream tho. Be damned if my kids are going to grow up lazy or feeling entitled.

I started my boy early. At not quite 2 he does his share of stacking. Of course it's probably cause he likes doing what dad is doing. I split stuff for him to stack smaller, then it keeps him away from the splitter

It's great for the kids. I had to make my little boy stop helping stack wood the other night and take a shower and get ready for bed. He's helped since he could walk
Little fellas gonna have to get paid so he can buy a belt! ;lol Great pictures, cute little guy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.