What's your cruising temp.?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Average stovetop temps run from 350F to 450F. I'm getting good heat output, good secondary burn and little or no creosote at these temps. For you guys that burn hotter than 500F, do you have to burn that hot? It seems to be a waste of fuel for me to burn that hot.

Jim

I run my Oslo up to 600 or 650 at least one time a day when burning. Otherwise it runs 450 to 500 until she starts to burn out and the temps start droppin'

i'm 600-650 cruise little higher little lower she fine

jbrown56 said:
Average stovetop temps run from 350F to 450F. I'm getting good heat output, good secondary burn and little or no creosote at these temps. For you guys that burn hotter than 500F, do you have to burn that hot? It seems to be a waste of fuel for me to burn that hot.

Jim
Why do you think it is a waste of fuel? Obviously if you burn hotter you will use more fuel but you will also produce more heat.

The outdoor temp and inside temp dictates the how I run my stove

When it's cold outside <30 and the house and the insulation in the walls are cold I fill and refill the Oslo. It runs for hours at 700 - 800. We try to stay <900 (max on the stove top thermometer) because that's were we get a burning smell off the outside of the stove. This does a great job cleaning the glass. I don't know if Jotel would recommend this but I've been doing it for years, the Oslo can take it.

When it's warm outside and you don't need much heat the stove gets harder to control. I find it's better to do small hotter fires, maybe 300 - 400 and let them burn out or down to coals before reloading. This keeps the glass cleaner. IF your house has good insulation and windows you won't have to much variation in temperature. Trying to run at 200 will blacken the glass, and your chimney. But every house, stove location is different. You need to learn works for you to keep the house temp as consistent as possible in all weather conditions. There is a learning curve, we still get the house so hot the windows are open when it's 10 degrees outside.

Tom

My stovetop seems to stay around 600, it spikes up to about 675 for a little while after I shut down the draft and slowly comes down to 600 and stays there for awhile.
At 600 it is really throwing off some heat... T-shirt weather

600-650F

Shoulder season 350-400
Middle of winter 400-600

Status
Not open for further replies.