What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After you drink the good stuff for awhile ,everything else taste like water. Lite beer taste thinner then water. Troegs make some pretty good stuff, i like the double bock and the cultivator.

Last edited:
Member Gamma Ray drinks Dogfishhead IPA. Couldn't wait to give it a try. In the hotel bar at the get together in DC I ordered one. Nasty stuff and I gave it to BG.

I guess I just can't appreciate good beer. ;em
Iv got a case of the Dodfishhead 90 IPA .Its an acquired taste and 9% ABV. The 120 is 18% ABV so its stronger than wine. If your used to drinking lite beer this stuff will be too much for you.

I can drink Scotch straight so it ain't the ABV, it is the taste of that crap that I couldn't stand.

Just tried some of that, taste kind of weak.

If you tried it in the States you had Amstel Light. The regular Amstel isn't sold here as far as I have been able to find. I had it in Rotterdam.

Drinking the 120 IPA is about the same thing as munching on raw hops pods, to me. There was only one reason that hops was added to beer - that was as a preservative so the beer would make it across the pond. Basically they took perfectly good beer and ruined it in the name of preservation or "keeping".

Reactions: Ashful
Just tried some of that, taste kind of weak.
It is, especially the Amstel Light which is what one usually sees out here. That's why my wife likes it. I'll be drinking an IPA, stout or porter and she won't touch it. Good for me I guess.

Drinking the 120 IPA is about the same thing as munching on raw hops pods, to me. There was only one reason that hops was added to beer - that was as a preservative so the beer would make it across the pond. Basically they took perfectly good beer and ruined it in the name of preservation or "keeping".
Agreed. I like a decently hopped beer but some go overboard. Hops have been around long before beer was exported. You see them in French and German ales in the 1300s. But they were banned in England for awhile during the middle ages too. The way I heard it from our local brewer hops were mandated by at some point to replace the wide variety of herbs that were used prior to that. Some of the plants were ok, like heather, but others were downright psychedelic and caused people to act crazy. Our brewer has a recipe book of old brews prior to this law. The heather brew wasn't too bad. Hops do have an antibiotic effect and were used as a preservative in beers exported to India (IPA) for this reason.

Yeah that is why I hopped that Dogfishhead right over to BG. It tasted like, well, a Dogfish's head.

Reactions: Jags
LOL It wasn't that bad, but they can keep the dogfish. We have enough breweries that go a bit too hop happy out here.

I can drink Scotch straight so it ain't the ABV, it is the taste of that crap that I couldn't stand.

Blasphemy bart!! haha....I used to feel the same way until I had a friend who was right into his Whiskeys and he introduced me to a few variety of flavors.. after a while I found one that i loved the taste of....just one or two with a beer in front of the fire..good times.

Blasphemy bart!! haha....I used to feel the same way until I had a friend who was right into his Whiskeys and he introduced me to a few variety of flavors.. after a while I found one that i loved the taste of....just one or two with a beer in front of the fire..good times.

The crap taste I was talking about is the hoppy beers. I can drink the Scotch with a nipple on the bottle. ;lol

Today, Fegley's Venemous Imperial Honey.

I have found one type of beer I can't stand to drink, Sours. At least the few I have tried taste like straight up vinegar, the longer they have sat the more like vinegar they taste to me, everyone else was wooing how good they tasted, I couldn't taste the oak or other flavors, only vinegar.

Ahh...yes.
My 3 favorite sins. A tall pint. 2 fingers of my favorite wiskey and a good cigarette around the fire. Nothing melts the work week like that for me.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
The crap taste I was talking about is the hoppy beers. I can drink the Scotch with a nipple on the bottle. ;lol
I dont know what the big hop thing is all about ,it certainly dont enhance the drinkability. They have a bitterness rating on the beer advocate website and the dogfishhead beers are over 100. I probably wont buy any more of it as troegs is a better tasting of the strong beers and brewed local in hershey Pa.

Just picked up another case of troegs double bock. Its over 8% ABV not hoppy at all, and one of my favorite new brews.

I dont know what the big hop thing is all about ,it certainly dont enhance the drinkability. They have a bitterness rating on the beer advocate website and the dogfishhead beers are over 100. I probably wont buy any more of it as troegs is a better tasting of the strong beers and brewed local in hershey Pa.
Since you're semi-local, CJs Doghouse is setting up for a Victory vs Troegs event, in a few weeks. Victory quality vs Troeg selection... should be interesting

Not a fan of this year's choice to replace White Monkey with Sour Monkey. The White Monkey was a big seller, I thought.

Enjoying Allagash Curieux tonight. A bargain at $18/bottle.

Ironically one of the few things we didn't like in India was the bland beer. The India Pale Ale thing didn't stick there. Their wine is not so hot either. However they have a rum (Sikhim) that is outstanding and good gin is easily available. During the hot weather we drank lots of gin and tonics.

Last edited:
Out of the 20 odd varieties i keep in stock , not a one is a lite beer. I view lite beer as other diet food products ,tasteless and inferior to the real thing. I also favor the higher alcohol brews.
I dont want to drink a whole case before i feel like iv had a beer. I usually only drink one or two in the evening. A few of my friends,on the other hand, who start at breakfast like the lite beer so they can drink all day.

Im having troegs JAVAHEAD right now, not my favorite troegs ,but these guys really dont make a bad beer. they are all pretty darn good. 7.5% ABV so its got a good kick. If you like black coffee you may like this one.

Last edited: