What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
old speckled hen in the bottle and on tap is like two different beers. i love it on tap but just ok in the bottle:)
Good point. There's probably a few like that...

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Beer is stored in used bourbon barrels before bottling. The beer has a hint of bourbon in the taste. 8.0% + abv. Hard to find, but well worth it!
You need to try Allagash Curieux. $100 for six 25 oz. bottles, but worth every penny. As someone who samples probably 200 different brews per year, I'd put it in my top 3 list.

Today's refreshments: Russian River Damnation, and Maredsous Tripel. Neither new to me, but both very tasty!

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Beer is stored in used bourbon barrels before bottling. The beer has a hint of bourbon in the taste. 8.0% + abv. Hard to find, but well worth it!

just finished my last one. it is unique. drink a ale and finishes with the taste of bourbon

My wife just git home with a gift for me. A kegarator with 3 brass tap, with the regulator and all the fitting.... It is a nice unit and I think shéa got a sweet deal on it. But I just found out that no comercial big scal brewery are selling keg. Si Îll have to dig i tey are availbale in micro brewery OR, start to home brew !!!! But I can't wait ( even if it might take a year to get everything set up) to get home for a c'od pint of beeeeerrrrr !!!!

My wife just git home with a gift for me. A kegarator with 3 brass tap, with the regulator and all the fitting.... It is a nice unit and I think shéa got a sweet deal on it. But I just found out that no comercial big scal brewery are selling keg. Si Îll have to dig i tey are availbale in micro brewery OR, start to home brew !!!! But I can't wait ( even if it might take a year to get everything set up) to get home for a c'od pint of beeeeerrrrr !!!!
They still have that "no keg beer for personal consumption" in quebec?That is just wrong!:(

They still have that "no keg beer for personal consumption" in quebec?That is just wrong!:(
Wow... can't even imagine that. Very common to have personal kegs here.

Trouble with kegs, even smaller ones... you're locked into just one or two brews at a time. I like to keep the fridge stocked with at least a half-dozen different brews, at all times. Never did understand the, "I'm a Budweiser man," type mentality. :rolleyes:

I also eat different food every day. ;lol

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Heck - around here even kegs of swamp water (stuff that ends with "light") is more expensive than buying bottles or cans. I haven't used my kegorator in at least a few years.

20140630_134427.jpg
Summer shandy, 95 degrees, breezy, dolphins swimming by. Not gonna be picky on brand specifics.....

Yes it is !! Everything over 10 liter for keg and tou need a alcool permit ( like for a bar or restaurant ) and I am not there yet :) !! But don't get me wrong our beer in Canada is still more expensive that US but beer in Quebec is a lot cheaper than Ontario, NB ans NS.

I was on a job site in Quebec with a coworker from new Brunswick and e was stocking up a few dozwn of Moosehead, the mooseead was cheaper here that in NB where it is made!

I was recently in Toronto and found myself in a place called "Bier Markt". Over 110 varieties on the beer menu. I jumped to the Trappist section (recall reading many great reviews here) - they had La Trappe Quadrupel (Netherlands I believe?) on draught. Almost fell off my chair - no not drunk - it was just that good.

Reactions: Osagebndr and Jags
I was recently in Toronto and found myself in a place called "Bier Markt". Over 110 varieties on the beer menu. I jumped to the Trappist section (recall reading many great reviews here) - they had La Trappe Quadrupel (Netherlands I believe?) on draught. Almost fell off my chair - no not drunk - it was just that good.
Got a 25 oz. bottle of La Trappe Quad in the fridge awaiting me right now. It's a solid beer, but the 10% ABV means you're not going to get to try 3 - 4 different beers in a session. Did you get to try any other beers while there?

Got a 25 oz. bottle of La Trappe Quad in the fridge awaiting me right now. It's a solid beer, but the 10% ABV means you're not going to get to try 3 - 4 different beers in a session. Did you get to try any other beers while there?

Unfortunately didn't have the time or energy - it was a sort of unplanned stop (and the end of a looooong work day) but next time for sure. Man I could stare at that menu for an hour and not be able to decide - like a kid in a candy store...

Got a 25 oz. bottle of La Trappe Quad in the fridge awaiting me right now. It's a solid beer, but the 10% ABV means you're not going to get to try 3 - 4 different beers in a session.

1904159_10205016358154617_1170635769885897399_n.jpg

My favorite beer is whatever you're buying. :cool:

Reactions: Osage
Are you drunk?
I have a simple formula, ounces x ABV% < 200. If I stay under that number, I can still sit at my desk and remain productive afterward.

Our former Director of Design used to like to say, "I know a lot more old drunks than old doctors." He's 74, and still working (for fun).

I have a simple formula, ounces x ABV% < 200. If I stay under that number, I can still sit at my desk and remain productive afterward.

Too much arithmetic. I test with my head. The next morning.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Been testing some interesting stuff lately. Anyone here ever try Innis & Gunn . Pretty pricey. So far only found it at craft store by single bottle. Almost $100 a case that way. $4x24. Imported from Scotland. They have 4 different varieties. Original,Smoke & Gunn, Rum Aged And Whiskey finished. So far iv tried the Rum Aged and the original. I can get it more reasonable by the whole case ,closer to $60.
About 7% ABV

Last edited:
Wow... can't even imagine that. Very common to have personal kegs here.

Trouble with kegs, even smaller ones... you're locked into just one or two brews at a time. I like to keep the fridge stocked with at least a half-dozen different brews, at all times. Never did understand the, "I'm a Budweiser man," type mentality. :rolleyes:

I also eat different food every day. ;lol
Same here JF iv got a kegerator but its usually empty, id rather a variety selection. Current selections are: Killian red,rolling rock,red horse,San Mig, Yuengling Lager,Yuengling Black & Tan,Leinenkugels honey Weiss,octoberfest,orange shanty and Creamy dark. Also cream ale and hamms left by friends. That makes 12 Different brews. And cant stand anything with "light" in the name.
We call it creek water. Good for those who want to drink all day but dont want to feel the effects.

Been testing some interesting stuff lately. Anyone here ever try Innis & Gunn . Pretty pricey. So far only found it at craft store by single bottle. Almost $100 a case that way. $4x24. Imported from Scotland. They have 4 different varieties. Original,Smoke & Gunn, Rum Aged And Whiskey finished. So far iv tried the Rum Aged and the original. I can get it more reasonable by the whole case ,closer to $60.
About 7% ABV
Haven't tried that, but I do like a good Scottish ale. I'll have to watch for some. On price, $100 is pretty average for a quality beer in limited supply. Some of the beers I have listed above are closer to $200/case. Marketing and name brands aside, the pricing is pretty well fixed by the ingredients and cost of brewing:

Barrel-aged Tripels: $160 - $200/case
Quads: $130/case
Tripels: $110/case
Dubbels: $70/case
Blondes: $50/case

These prices are very average, there are always outliers.

Any true beer (meaning all Barley with no rice or corn fillers) is going to cost over $40/case. If you're looking at a $30 case of beer, it has corn filler. If you're looking at a $20 case of beer, it has rice filler. Popular corn beers are Yuengling, Rolling Rock, Molsen, etc. Common rice beers are Bud, Coors, Miller, Busch. I think the cheapest true "beer" (meaning all Barley) is Sam Adams. I seem to remember Michelob might have stayed true all these years, but since I don't drink that crap, I'm not really sure.

You really know your beer JF .
The Whiskey finished Innis & Gun is aged in whiskey barrels according to their website. The rum aged is something similar. Sounds like a bargain at $60 a case. My distributor can only get 2 of the 4 varieties right now. According to beer advocate they score pretty good.

Last edited:
I wonder if the firewood advice on Beer Advocate is as good as the beer advice on Hearth ;lol
I've spent a good deal of time on BeerAdvocate, and I don't think a one of them is seasoning their wood 3 years. :p

I'll have to watch for the Innis & Gun, since I definitely like barrel aged beers. Having tasted quite a few beers, the barrel aged stuff that's starting to become more popular is one of the few chances I get to experience something really new. My favorite barrel-aged beer (mentioned several times before) is probably Allagash Curieux (Tripel aged in bourbon barrels), but we also get a good bit of our local Victory White Monkey (Tripel aged in white wine barrels). I can't imagine I'd like a beer aged in rum bottles, but I'm willing to give it several tries! :)

Today's brews:
Lunch: Delirium Tremens
Dinner: Maredsous Tripel