What's your favorite firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black locust,That's all i get on a load of log length six cords for 300.00 splits easy
but a little hard on the saw chains.

I Said Ash and Apple, but I forgot about Locust. I don't get much, but it sure burns a long time. Ash splits easier than any other wood, so that's why I like it. For the splitting effort put in, I get the most BTU's. I'm finding that white oak isn't so easy to split. especially really old stuff. Tree is 100 with knots as big as my head... and you all know how big that is! LOL

I'm liking the sounds of the black locust! Just this past spring I picked up about 3-4 cords of various log length cut about 2 years ago. I'v got a couple of cords cut, split and stacked and boy is it dry. Haven't really burned much of it before. Nobody has mentioned birch. I've got lots of white, good amounts of black, and some yellow. All of it splits really easy, burns easy too though not as much heat in the white is in the yellow and black. Plus the yellow and black taste good!

jpl1nh said:
All of it splits really easy, burns easy too though not as much heat in the white is in the yellow and black. Plus the yellow and black taste good!

Yes but is it less filling?

Red Oak fan here also. Splits nice and burns long. Also have some Black Locust I'm going to try for the first time that I know of anyway, and from what everyone says it may be my new favorite.

Ash and cherry are the best I've found here. Probably going to be a lot of ash available with the borer moving in the area.

Dave P said:
Hophornbeam. Tough to split but nothing last longer in the stove.
I have just a bit of that in my woods but about 4" diam is as large as I've seen around here. Man that stuff is DENSE!! :ahhh:

red oak, ash and grey birch. would like to get my hands on some apple there are plenty of orchards here in york county maine. do they typically give it away? i know they gotta trim them every year

rich81 said:
red oak, ash and grey birch. would like to get my hands on some apple there are plenty of orchards here in york county maine. do they typically give it away? i know they gotta trim them every year
Hey Rich, I'm just down the coast from you, cross the bohda in NH. I have probably a cord of apple stored up. Found most of it on Craigslist. People get tired of apple trees dropping apples in their yard and will ask for someone to cut them down in exchange for the wood. Just make sure they can handle the brush unless you have a good way of diposing of it cause there is always a lot of it with an apple tree. Certainly plenty of apple trees around, keep looking, you'll find some. Oh yeah, if you do take any down for anyone, look out for cement in the trees!! :grrr: Since apples tend to hollow out, it used to be common practice to fill the hollows with cement in the belief that would benefit the tree. Good luck!

The best wood to burn is dry-seasoned wood.
There was a disscussion about this in an earlier thread..... dry vs seasoned...lol

The WoodButcher

It's a little hard to say. My favorite wood to burn would probably be oak or hickory, just for the smell and ease of burning. Although I see a lot of people mention beech, I don't know that I have ever seen that around here. Favorite wood to cut would probably be hedge because I generally see it listed at 31-34 Mbtu/cord, so you can cut a load of energy pretty quick. My most hated wood is probably elm...it stinks, it's hard to split, heat is only average. I guess I actually "like" to burn it though, because I know that is one less split of elm that I'll ever have to look at!

But, like everyone else, if it is free, it's going in the fire.

jpl1nh said:
rich81 said:
Hey Rich, I'm just down the coast from you, cross the bohda in NH. I have probably a cord of apple stored up. Found most of it on Craigslist. People get tired of apple trees dropping apples in their yard and will ask for someone to cut them down in exchange for the wood. Just make sure they can handle the brush unless you have a good way of diposing of it cause there is always a lot of it with an apple tree. Certainly plenty of apple trees around, keep looking, you'll find some. Oh yeah, if you do take any down for anyone, look out for cement in the trees!! :grrr: Since apples tend to hollow out, it used to be common practice to fill the hollows with cement in the belief that would benefit the tree. Good luck!

thanks i'll keep an eye on craigslist

Ironwood is my favorite. It is hard, burns long and doesn't need to be split. And it's pretty. Then red oak, then maple.

Catskill is close..
1. Hard Maple (sugar maple)
2. Red oak
3. Beech
4. cherry

But truthfully, I like a good mixture of everything..I usually always include a split of hard maple and red oak into every fire

WOODBUTCHER said:
The best wood to burn is dry-seasoned wood.
There was a disscussion about this in an earlier thread..... dry vs seasoned...lol

The WoodButcher
And a wise and insightful discussion at that! %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.