What's your favorite WHISKEY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drz1050

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2014
Ballston Lake, NY
[Or favourite whisky]

Saw the beer thread and thought of this...

Recently went on a work trip to Kalispell, Montana. There's a small distillery close by- Glacier Distilling.. they have some wonderful stuff. If you're a rye fan, Bad Rock by them is fantastic, as is their un-aged Glacier Dew.

15 yr Macallan would probably take my top spot for whisky

All time favorite is a tough call, but would probably go to Midleton. I keep a bottle of that at home for special occasions. Bought it ~5 years ago, still have about 1/3 left.

Im a bourbon guy with a little scotch now and then. As far as bourbon goes Knob Creek is one of my favorites, followed by Woodford Reserve. If I am feeling especially fancy Jim Beam makes a "small batch" called Basil-Hayden that really blows my skirt up

Bushmill's Black Bush Irish Whiskey lately. A friend said to try Fighting Cock bourbon on the rocks (103 proof).

Glenfiddich for special occasion sipping whiskey. Or when I traveled on expense account. A plethora of young scotches for daily drivers. One under-recognized one being Scoresby.

"Bartender give me some of that three year old Knob Creek.".

"Sir?"

"Gimme some Jim Beam."

Whisky
I like a good single malt sippen Whisky
From Scotland Islay Laphroaig
Highlands Glenmorangie
From Canada a little distillery close to me
Wild Oak Whisky
For Rye Forty Creek and Gibson's Silver
Not a Bourbon man find it to sweet

Forty Creek is good but I like Alberta Springs better for sipping

Forty Creek is good but I like Alberta Springs better for sipping
Haven't had Alberta springs for a long time I would guess the last time I had it was the year I left
Alberta 1978
Try Fort Creek Cream in your coffee

Reactions: Tech Guru
Whiskey .... I heard this term as a child, my Grandfather used it, often ;)

My current favorites:

Bourbon:
1792 Reserve (neat)
Knob Creek (neat or rocks)
Woodford Reserve (only for mint juleps)
Maker's Mark (only for old fashions)

Rye:
Knob Creek (neat, or with a few drops of water)

Scotch:
Balvenie 15
Macallan 18
Balvenie 12

I spent years telling myself I should like Scotch more than Bourbon and Rye, but just recently conceded that ain't gonna happen. Apparently, I'm a redneck at heart. ;lol I also tried hard to like the Islay Scotches, like Laphroig, but just got tired of trying to convince myself I liked things I really don't. My current go-to is 1792 Reserve, or Knob Creek, each of which cost about 1/8th what they get for Macallan 18.

Last edited:
Woodford is a regular staple. I do admit to liking some of the Islay stuff (I have a specific one that I like but I'll be darned if I can pull it out of my brain. Its VERY peaty. I am just weird that way;)).

I don't like Rye. Just don't.

I do like Pappy 15 year on a special occasion.
And truth be told - I won't turn my nose up at a couple of fingers of Jack. One (small) ice cube please.

Knob Creek and Makers Mark doesn't even hit my radar.

Knob Creek and Makers Mark doesn't even hit my radar.
Yeah, Makers was my go-to, when my primary method of consuming bourbon was the old-fashioned. When I switched to drinking neat, Makers just didn't do it anymore.

I usually grab the 1792 at home, but have better luck finding Knob Creek when dining out, so I'll get that at restaurants.

For Bourbon: Rebel Yell is on sale here in Pa (remember, we have state liquor stores) for 20.99 for a 1.75 aged 4 years! With that deal, yea, that's my current stock and quite honestly, worth a taste for a bargain drink.

In all, I do appreciate a good quality anything, but generally when out or when having company; I just don't see the fun in doing a pricey drink without someone to share it with. For day to day, things like Rebel Yell or even Black Velvet, get me along and I can appreciate them while I'm working in the garage at the end of the day, covered in grass, chain saw dust, mud, doing the daily grind things with a sip here and there to look forward to as I progress through what otherwise would be mundane, as I get ready for tomorrow.

Related to whiskey, the Manhattan, is a drink I really enjoy when made with Laird's Applejack.

For you Old Fashioned fans: try the Montucky- 2+ parts Woodford Reserve, 1ish part OJ, 1/2ish part simple syrup. Toss a cherry and/ or orange slice in for garnish.

I love a Manhattan made with straight rye, and dry vermouth.

For you Old Fashioned fans: try the Montucky- 2+ parts Woodford Reserve, 1ish part OJ, 1/2ish part simple syrup. Toss a cherry and/ or orange slice in for garnish.
Will do. My normal old fashioned is a lot more bourbon, a lot less OJ:

1 cherry
1 orange slice (or a teaspoon of fresh OJ)
half-teaspoon confectioners sugar
1 dash bitters
muddle, then four ice cubes
fill glass (i.e. 4 oz.) with Makers or Knob Creek

the OJ takes place of the muddled orange/ cherry/ sugar... it's really not any sweeter than an Old Fashioned...

I just made up those parts earlier... that's what the 2+ was about, and the ish.

Heavy on the whiskey, light on the OJ & SS. Slightly more OJ than SS.

Gotcha. Was just saying that my usual breakdown is more like 25 parts bourbon to 1 part OJ, versus your 2+ parts bourbon to 1'ish part OJ. Big difference, no matter the "ish".

I'll give yours a try. Always up for something new.

I have not drunk one before, I'm not big on mixed drinks, but had a wonderful manhattan at a friends the other night. From what I remember it was a dash of orange bitters, a splash of vermouth, a couple exquisite wine and sugar soaked cherries instead of sugar added and a generous dose of Makers Mark.

A good Old Fashioned is the best possible compliment I can imagine for most of my favorite dinners. You owe it to yourself to try one, begreen.

That said, I've done a good bit of traveling on the west coast, specifically California, begreen. I've NEVER had a decent one made for me on the west coast. I think you'll need to come east to find a real bartender.

I guess I'm more of a purist. I'd rather sip it neat or on a few rocks. The most mixed drink for me is an occasional gin and tonic. Not that I drink a lot of straight alcohol. Nowadays I'm more of a wine and ale person.

#1 favorite scotch is Bowmore Mariner 15. Nice Islay that had a touch of saltyness at the very end. I guess I should say WAS. It has been unavailable since 2007 or so and I've been out since late in 2008. Maybe a batch will be ready by 2022?
Talisker and Ardbeg 10 year old's do the trick for now. Not a fan of either's "cask strength" or older versions.

I'm almost ashamed to say that my favorite rye is Seagram's 83...... Followed closely by Wiser's Deluxe 10 year old.

As for bourbon, I'll pass. Not a fan at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.