Whats your ideal house temp??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no question that the nice wood heat grows on you. Our insert is in the rec-room and we keep it at about 74-80. And we are growing too fond of that cozy temperature. Doesn`t matter though, it is still the most economical heat that money can buy.

Back when we used to heat with oil 72 felt pretty toasty. But now that we've switched over to wood for the primary heat, anywhere from 75 - 80 has become comfortable.

When I first started burning the stove I accidentally let it get up to around 90 on a couple of occasions....caught hell for that and had to open some windows. Hate it when that happend....its like throwing splits of wood right out the window.

I prefer to have the house around 74. I figure I worked hard cuttin and splittin so I may as well enjoy it. My wife prefers it to be around 64 (before we got married she heated her house with oil so she got used to keeping thermostat way down to save money). When I hear her say "It feels like Florida in here" I know its time to shut the stove back a bit.

my house is sq, 42X42 the stove is for the most part in the center of the house, very ideal. my F-500 will maintain a constant 74 with about 70 in the work room. Thats about as hot as i want it. 3 celing fans keep the floors warm. Ive had it 80 in here before, way to frigging hot, doorwall open, and the dog is panting. at the setting I mentioned I go thru about 12 splits a day. I try to be efficient with my wood burning as i would with gas, oil, ect. You guys that keep your houses 80 and above, how much wood would you save if you throttled it down 10 degrees?

Pook said:
women have an extra layer of fat , which makes them soft thankfully, so i dont understand why the pertaining heat scenario isnt opposite , as per LOGIC!
But... we (human beings) sense temperature on the skin surface, the layer of fat is actually inhibiting a woman's body heat from reaching her skin. Also, like children, women generally have a higher surface area to mass ratio than a man due to their smaller size.

A lot of woman that I know have lower blood pressure and much lower pulse than most of the men I know.

Ill take the house as warm as I can get it - anywhere between 70 and 80 is fine. The room I have the stove in can get cooking sometimes.

What the hell is wrong with watching football in your shorts anyway??

Status
Not open for further replies.