What's your opinion on the box store inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A rough rule of thumb might be to watch for the cheap cast stoves. If you're welding boilerplate together, it's mostly a what you see is what you get - might be ugly welds, but once it's done it's done. It takes some doing to damage a steel stove.

The cast stoves can be both 1) fragile, and 2) sensitive through time. Gaskets compact, panels sometimes warp or crack.

I had a cheap steel free standing, then a fancy cast insert (cost 3x the freestander). Now I have another cheap steel free standing.

Reactions: wildwildwest
Biggest one I can think of is a Buck 91...4.4 CF!!! !!!
It's about 3, actual useable space. It will toss some heat, though, and for a pretty long time. I replaced all the gaskets with OEM, and tweaked the ash pan to seal the gasket better. I'm looking forward to seeing how much the burn times have increased, once the cold weather gets here.
Anyway, I've seen the Drolets at Menards and they look pretty solid for the money.

Drolet makes some good budget stoves. Made in Canada and their customer service has been top notch. I am very happy with my Drolet 1800i insert.Paid around $1200 for it delivered.

1380044_10151631317840670_234885811_n.jpg

Here is a picture my Drolet Myriad Wood Stove made by SBI stoves of Canada.
SBI might be the largest wood stove company in t he world.
When I bought it from my Local Menards store for $300 off I was amazed at how heavy duty it was and the build quality for a $689 stove.
The thing radiates heat extremely well and the air wash that keeps the glass cleans works imho very well.
Here is a picture: I put the new tile pad in this past summer.

MyDroletMyriad.jpg

Last edited:
Drolet makes some good budget stoves. Made in Canada and their customer service has been top notch. I am very happy with my Drolet 1800i insert.Paid around $1200 for it delivered.

1380044_10151631317840670_234885811_n.jpg
Have you thought about hiding the wire for the blower and if so what have you thought if doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.