What's YOUR Rate Of Consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Obviously we are not yet (at least here in New England anyway) deep in the throws of "Winter." But I was wondering (realizing it is relative to size of stove, size of house, personal heat preference), how much wood others consumed in the month of October.

We here in our home, not having burned 24/7 this month since it is not necessary yet, have gone through approx. an eighth of a cord. It got me wondering what others consumed during this month. I'm keeping a tally this year for ourselves, and will be interested to see how much of our 3 cords will be left (if any) by the end of March of 2011.

-Soupy1957

Burnt almost a 1/4 cord so far in the last month. Not quite 24/7 yet.

so far about a stack 4' x 4' of short pieces no longer than 12'' in length split small and about 2 pallets. i found some with heavy poplar boards that are an inch thick and about 8 inches wide. this is the first morning its dipped below freezing here , so still short firings in both stoves. have a warm weekend. pete

Right around 1/2 a cord so far. We have had alot of days that have been very cool and wet. didn't get alot of rain all summer, but this fall has been catch up time. Supposed to rain again today and turn to 2 to 4 cm. of snow tonight. Temp. hovering +/- 32 for the first week of Deer Season

October tally:
8 pieces kindling
3 tiny splits
3 small splits
1 med. split

I've burnt a few fires in late September, and alot of night time fires through October and some during the day. Almost all cottonwood until a week ago. We have used about 1 1/4 face cords so far. I'm trying to keep a close eye on our consumption because we now have our liner. So far that liner has given us a good clean flue and the furnace is producing alot more heat as well as better burn times.

Troutchaser said:
October tally:
8 pieces kindling
3 tiny splits
3 small splits
1 med. split

That's funny.

Perhaps fired up the stove 12 times, 2 loads per burn of the most junky wood I could find in the shed. How much have I burned? Not even enough to notice its missing.

I have no idea. So far I've only kept track of the whole heating seasons.

I've had three fires in the Vigilant and four in the Intrepid. With the Intrepid finally putting out decent heat I can now use it the way I had hoped, which is as the main stove during the shoulder season. It is far more efficient than the Vigilant and it won't blast you out of the room due to better air controls and less heat output, which is perfect for this time of year.

I've burned, maybe, an 8th of a cord.

Fired up the stove at the end of September and since have burned just under 1/2 cord. I burn a total of 5 cords per year

I only burn the unmeasurable this time of year.

Six splits so far. Three three nights ago and three last night. :smirk: Ain't burning tonight. Let the heaters have it. The electric company's employees' kids gotta eat too.

Rate of consumption right now is only about a fifth per week, but by the time Christmas rolls around, I'll be downing close to a pint every day.

When burning, mostly 3-5 split days right now.

We're using our newly installed air source heat pump this shoulder season. I gotta say, as much as several installers told me I was stupid for wanting a heat pump in Mid-Michigan, last month I used a whopping $25 in electricity to run the pump to keep our house at 70 all day every day. When it gets colder, the stove will fire, rest assured, but for 40-50-60 degree days, I LOVE this heat pump. The stove would blow me out of the house anyway at these temps, I've fired it before at mild outside temps, unless I choke it off where it smokes and smolders, the house runs up to 80-82 in a hurry, seems like a waste to fire it and either open windows to regulate temp or choke it where it smolders and make that stuff we all hate.
It's not like I went out and just bought a heat pump, our air conditioner crapped out over the summer, in the high seer range we were looking at (to qualify for the gov't credits), the heat pump version of the air conditioner I was looking at was only $500-600 more than the A/C version of the same thing, so, I figured, what the hay.

And my 4 cords of stacked wood is ready and willing, it's time will come in short order.

You got it 73blazer. Use the heat source that makes the most sense, when it makes the most sense. Wood burning ain't a religion. It is heat.

Battenkiller said:
Rate of consumption right now is only about a fifth per week, but by the time Christmas rolls around, I'll be downing close to a pint every day.
consumed a 750 of jack single barrel and 3 gorilla carts full of wood. only once did I slip and throw the shot in the stove and the split down the hatch!

None. The old stove is in the kitchen waiting for a buyer and my new stove hasn't come in yet. This morning was the first time I would have been really tempted anyway. It was in the upper 20s this morning.

So far about 8 or 9 smaller splits.....did a break in fire this morning. Got the Buck up to 600 or 700 on the cat probe and let it die. Built another small one about 7:00 this pm and put 3 med splits in @ 10:30 and lit the cat off for the 1st time. Now, 2 hours later, cat reading 1600 with all the air cut off........hope I got the paint cured this morning....lol

I've used about 1/3 cord or so, of mostly branches, and pine, with a few splits of oak and maple thrown in for good measure.
Still trying to sort out the burning technique this year, since the stove rebuild.

1/3 of cord. I'm hoping to have a warmer winter but they imaginary powers that be say it will be cooler and wetter. Hope they are wrong, I only have 1-1/2 cords till spring. I'm coming form a rental duplex with an open fireplace and I did not know when we would have another wood stove. I did not know when or if we would burn wood again.

Status
Not open for further replies.