Wheat burns HOT!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swalgin

Dec 7, 2009
Central NY
We have a Magnum Countryside multi-fuel stove. We are burning a 5:1, wheat:pellet mix. It is incredible how much more heat is produced by the wheat. When we only burning pellets the heat is easily cut in half. We grow the wheat. It isn't screened or anything just scooped out of a dump truck into a bag. Cheap to grow and store.

I also designed a mantel/hearth for the stove so that it more resembles a fireplace in the living room rather than a big black box stinking out! Will post pictures when it in completed. Just an FYI for anyone who is interested.

Some of us here have multi-fuel stoves, and would be interested in trying the wheat....I KNOW jtakeman (Jay) would, and I'd give it a shot too. Where in Central NY are you?

Looks hot...
wheatfire.gif

macman said:
Some of us here have multi-fuel stoves, and would be interested in trying the wheat....I KNOW jtakeman (Jay) would, and I'd give it a shot too. Where in Central NY are you?

Yes I would! But I am sure you are too far away to go get some. I bet benski would too!

We have to start that multifuel group someday.

I only have one hitch with the grains, I prefer to burn what is grow for fuel not for food or cattle feed. The corn I get is strictly grown as a fuel first and them sold as animal feed in the spring. But a trial of a couple of bags isn't a biggie!

We are just south west of Utica, NY but you all should be able to find wheat locally either from a farmer or grain mill, call around. Wheat doesn't require the amount of ground coverage as corn, plow, fit, plant, spray, combine and then dry. Lots of fuel and spray used. Wheat gets planted, it grows and then combined when it has field dried. Less impact on everything. Heating the whole house until this past weekend, 3000 square feet on low to medium setting with an additional fan to help move the warm air around. Supplementing with the parlor wood stove which used to heat the whole house (it was much colder then). The stove sits on an 8" slate hearth and I am in the process of finishing the mantel and adjoining wall unit. I would have to say the only thing that sucks is the noise but once I have the surround that I designed finished with some sound absorbers it should cut down on the fan noise. We are surprised that more people haven't tried wheat. Once you do you will not go back if they availability is convenient. If you are close let me know and you can try some.

Your burn pot needs to have the smaller holes for wheat. Some does go through but not much. Some stoves are only corn or pellets not other grains due to the burn pot. Oh, I and I have just been informed that it is 4:1 NOT 5:1 and the drier the wheat the better the burn but I figured you guys would know that! Anyway two minds are better than one I guess???

So can you burn any wheat? I have a feed mill 6 blocks from my place...

I'd sure like to find some, maybe next year. My manual says I can burn "Distiller's grains", I'm guessing wheat would fall in that category.

I would think that any wheat will do. You need to keep an eye on the ratio. We are doing 1 scoop of pellets to 4 scoops of wheat. Once in a while the wheat will come out too quick and snuff the fire. I did find out that the pellets we are using are a blend, which is probably why they produce such little heat but they are locally made and sold by our local farm store at .70 less a bag. A bag lasts us 2 1/2 days at $5.30 a bag. Wheat is last years harvest.

Status
Not open for further replies.