Wheel Barrow Tires: Foam or Pneumatic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Wheel Barrow Tires: Foam or Pneumatic?

That is the question.

Wheel barrow is used in the woods, and 12 months a year. I figure 10 degrees F to 90.

I see the stores are right proud of them as they're not afraid to charge what I paid for the whole rig.

Is there a downside to the foam?

Thanks,
Mike

My barrow is a builders barrow with pneumatic tires and it has never let me down in 10 years on some quite rough ground with heavy loads.

I can imagine foam tires shredding somehow on some rough patches in our woods.

I have one of each. The foam or never flat tire was a cheap version from a local industrial supply. It is good and does the job but I would probably save to get the green one it is available from Northern I think. The reason I do not like the cheap one is it is coming off the rim and goes squeak-squeak-squeak when you push it, sort of out of balance but not bumpy. The pneumatic tire on the other wheel barrow is just plain tough, it was here when we moved in and the wheel barrow is rock solid and heavy, something from a day gone by when they actually built them to last.... :smirk:

I bought a tubed pneumatic and green-slimed it. It hasn't lost pressure in 3 years and beaten the rest of the barrow to death. The wheel will be part of the next setup

Well - TSC beat the local Harbor Frieght. $10 tire & tube combo from TSC on sale. My 16YO son was just starting to over think the install when I gave him a hand. ; ) No tube damage : ) Should be good for another bunch of trips.

Thanks,
Mike

May I ask how you changed the tire and tube on that wheelbarrow?
If I look around, I see a fair amount of pneumatic tires around the house, and at least one gave me a problem, which I slimed, but I rather would have changed the tire and tube.
I've changed a bunch of bike tires, but I always had tire irons.

Pneumatic tires have been around for years and the worst thing I've seen people do is turn the wheelbarrow over so it doesn't fill with rain. However, that exposes the tire to the rain and later to the sun. Those that are kept indoors last and last and last, even without the slime.

Rather than slime, I'd simply take the tire to the tire store and have them change it. They can be tough to get off the rim and after you put slime in a tire....I don't want to change it.

Hi -

Backwoods has a good answer as usual.

My wheel is pretty good quality. It has a rim like a steel automotive wheel. i let all the air out I can. stomp around the wheel on both sides to break the bead loose from the wheel. Then squeeze the bead on both sides to the center of the wheel. The nI use the handle of my 3/8 ratchet ('cause it's smoothish) to ease the bead at the opposite end over the rim. It's easier if you have 3 hands. So it was nice and easy with my 16YO son's help.

Warmer is better also. Soapy water can help.

Mike

One way to fix tubeless tire remove valve and put in antifreeze enough so-as to coat inside replace valve and inflate. This works well on small boat trailers, mowers,ect. This will work on cracked sidewalls
if not too far gone. One thing about slime DON"T weld or use HEAT as it can explode. This can seal beads as well as holes works for years.

Not a fan of Slime . . . namely for the reason that it didn't work out so well for me on my ATV. I slimed my tires with the idea being that it would prevent a flat if I poked a hole in my tire while out riding on the trail . . . and as you may guess I had a rock slash the tire and the Slime didn't work out so well . . . maybe if this was just a simple puncture it would have been different.

In any case, I ended up with a choice . . . either clean out the Slime so the local garage could tube this tire, buy a new tire or pay extra to have the mechanic clean the Slime out and then pay for him to tube the tire. Ended up tubing the tire . . . after I spent some quality time with the Slime. I will not be using Slime in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.