Wheeled weed eater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Just giving a heads up to all the land owners here on the hearth site. I just had the opportuntity to try out one of those big 6.75 HP wheeled weed whackers. I dont know why i didnt get one of these things years ago. IT takes out any weed up to 6 ft high ,and small saplings up to about 3/4 inch. Just dont try it too close to the trees you want to keep cuz it will take the bark off . It has no equal at the woods line where lawn meets woods. This year i didnt get to cut the grass till july on my country lot and it was 4 to 6 ft high. i tried to do it slowly with a mower but probably took a few years off the mower lifespan in the process. THis craftsman weed whacker handled it with ease.

They are great in some kinds of brush but meet their match when trying to tackle a field infested with blackberries. Himalayan blackberries chew through the heavy strings too quickly so one ends up needing a blade to chew through a lot of them.

They are great in some kinds of brush but meet their match when trying to tackle a field infested with blackberries. Himalayan blackberries chew through the heavy strings too quickly so one ends up needing a blade to chew through a lot of them.
All kinds of HD strings available including different kinds of blade attachments. The only thing that stopped the string type iv been using are cement blocks. Iv got a lot of briar bushes near the tree line an it makes short work of them. Im looking at the DR trimmer ,it cost a little more than craftsman or husquarva but it think the trimmer mechanism is superior. The one i borrowed is a craftsman. I got my pre-cut .155 HD string on amazon $8 for 36 pieces. This is about 2.5 times thicker than my small electric weed whacker and about twice as thick as my gas whacker.

That is similar to what I tried, with the same diam. string. Our tough blackberries chewed that stuff up pretty quickly, but I did eventually get the job mostly done with it. I'm going to rent a DR Fields brush hog next time.

Reminds me of when I weed whacked my 1 acre 3' high back yard. As my country neighbors would say, "That city boy is new to this."

Reactions: begreen
Keep in mind you can always rent for about $100/day a walk behind brush hog. I'm doing that this fall. Expensive to buy, but a string unit will not 'cut it' for the brush I have to eat through.

i have posted these other pictures somewhere else, but the brush hog made a difference.... before
20160611_065018.jpg

and 2 hours after:
20160611_133851.jpg

it cost me $75

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
DHT was having a factory sale, and I thought about picking up a wheeled string trimmer for a couple hundred bucks, but decided against it for now....

I have one, cant remember the brand but its amazing compared to the old back wreckers ive used in the past. it will eat up some heavy stuff as well uses a square "string" about 3/16ths thick, wish I had one years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.