When a pellet stove loses power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
A thread in the "Hearth" forum got me thinking. If the power goes out, or even flickers, what happens to the pellet stove? Will it re-ignite on its own when the power comes back on? What about the exhaust? Does the house fill with smoke? My vent goes straight up throught the roof for about 20 - 25', and about 8 -10' of that is inside. Will I get enough natural draft from this to clear away any smoke during a power outage? Thanks.

I've lost power 2 or three times with my Harman Advance, both times at night while I was sleeping. The stove quietly burned out, and that was it. No smoke alarms... and no smoke for that matter (my exhaust goes through my ceiling if that makes a difference... not sure?). But I didn't notice the power was out until I went downstairs and it was cold.

If it flickers, I believe the stove will just keep on running. If the flame hasn't extinguished, it will just resume burning. I'm basing this on a loose electrical wire I had 2 years ago that was causing my stove to power out for 2 or 3 minutes every so often. Once I bumped the controls a bit, it would kick back on.

A good quality surge suppressor would be a good idea, like from Monster and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.