When a stove offers multiple venting options, which will maximize heat output?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MuskieC

Jan 3, 2014
North Carolina
We recently replaced an old VC Defiant Encore with a Jotul F3 CB. We loved the Defiant for 15 years but it was always too big for our 1450 sf and it was really showing its age. It has been a big adjustment to the much smaller fire box on the Jotul but it is more efficient and takes up much less space in the living room. It is rated for 1300 sf, which is more than what we are actually trying to heat. But it just doesn't seem to put out much heat. Our wood is well seasoned (though unfortunately much of it was cut to fit the Defiant!), the draft is excellent and the fires burn hot, just not getting that much heat from the stove.
It is free standing in the middle of the room and is vented straight out the top. There is the option to vent off the back or sides. As the 6 in flue collar takes up about 20% of the stove top I was thinking I might get more heat by venting out the back. This would give off heat from the entire stove top, plus heat off the elbow and extra pipe at the back. It would also slow down the draft a little and the heat would have farther to travel through the stove before exiting. I have not found any information anywhere to confirm my thoughts on this. Does anyone think this is valid thinking or would I see little to no difference?

The newer stoves work a bit different than the older ones. Try letting the stove top get to around 400 degrees and then backing the primary air control down in steps. Cut it 50% and then let the fire build back up. Then cut it back another 50% so that it is 25% open. When it builds up you can cut it back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.