When did jotul stop double doors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toyotarider

Nov 1, 2014
ruffsdale pa
when did jotul stop with double doors? I got a brand new one being put in wed but not sure when it was made because i know they dont make them now.

I believe the f600 still have double doors. My Castine f400 also has 2 doors but mine is 10 years old. Very happy to have the 2 doors myself.

F600 still has double doors.

Some models have double doors and some don't. My F55 I just installed has a single door, but the F500 I almost bought has a double door. Some models also have side doors, top loading features, etc ... lots of variations.

What model? They were dropped at different times. The F400 was around 2005.

... and define "new". :p

'scuse my ignorance.... I'm only able to imagine it being annoying having to open one door and then another.. what's the plus side to double doors?

I've only ever had stoves with double doors, but I've never seen it as an issue. It's nice to close one door and leave the other cracked a 1/2" to get weary coals going with a reload. It's also nice to open just one when reaching in to adjust a fresh load with a gloved hand, while not allowing smoke to escape the way it might when opening both doors or a single large door.

I think the real reason Jotul does it on the 600, though, is simple mechanics. It is a very large stove, and a single door config would require a very wide door. This might be more prone to break at the hinges from getting banged or leaned on when open.

Do note that Jotul Firelights have always had 3 doors. Used to be double front doors with a top-load door. Now it's double fronts with a side-load door. Definitely one of the easier stoves to load and work on, as opening all those large doors makes things very accessible.

Last edited:
Oh, and to answer limestone, it's actually an advantage in terms of seal replacement. I have three very short seal ropes, instead of one long. Makes seal replacement quick and easy, and I've never managed to damage more than one at a time, so I'm actually saving on time and material.

Some models have double doors and some don't. My F55 I just installed has a single door, but the F500 I almost bought has a double door. Some models also have side doors, top loading features, etc ... lots of variations.

Older F500? Since 2008 at least the F 500 Oslo has only had a single front door.

'scuse my ignorance.... I'm only able to imagine it being annoying having to open one door and then another.. what's the plus side to double doors?
I only open 1 door

Status
Not open for further replies.