When do you all buy your pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pebbles

Mar 12, 2010
Michigan
This is our first year burning pellets. We have a ton left and would like to store some for next season.
We found two fairly good deals
Maeder Bros. Pellets. 189. a ton
or Michigan Pellet Fuel for 180 a ton - buy 3 ton get 10 bags free.

Has anyone burned either of these? and what did you like or dislike?
thanks

I add Michigan Pellet to my coen to reduce the clinker and they seem to work fine for that. I prefer buying an in state made product over out of state products anyway and Michigan Pellet is in Holland Michigan....Like you are..... :roll:

Maeder Brothers are junk IMO. My friends who burn pellets that tried these also said they were junk. Michigan burn okay but have lots of ash.
In my stove (Quad Mt Vernon) I like Somerset's or Uncle Jed's both burn great,very hot and a very low ash. I have also burned 2 tons of Rocky Mountains this winter and they were very good, not quite as good as the Somerset's or Uncle Jed's. Here in mid-Michigan they are available through smart energy systems in Grant or Greenway's in Mount Pleasant. These pellets cost a little more well worth it IMO. Much more heat and a lot less cleaning.
A member on this forum known as Jakeman has some very good reviews on all sorts of pellets. The links to his reviews were again posted in a post earlier today... check out his reviews you will be glad you did. :cheese:

We can get the two i mentioned by picking them up within driving distance. so no gas (hour to two trips) or delivery charges apply. both the sites in grant and mount pleasant would include those.

So when comparisons are made such as these... and prices are they the ones you mentioned still the better buy?

We did burn the Maeder bros. ones when we got the stove in jan. as they came with it. and since it was new we really cant base our desions on that. the stove ran fine though. Of course, the michigan wood pellet fuel deal - is a deal if they burn

per the comparisons i have not found any on these brand pellets... please direct me to the link if you know of one. thanks

Many here on this forum recommend that you get two bags to the test of the brands available to you. Each stove is different and what burns great in one might not burn great in another. I did burn a ton of the Michigan last year burned okay but like I said a lot ash. The uncle Jed's and Somerset's provide for me 30 to 35° more heat coming out of the stove at the same setting and a lot less ash. With the Michigan pellets I have to clean my stove every three days. I can go at least a week with the two I am currently using. So value is in the eye of the beholder. Like it's been mentioned here before when it comes to pellets and different stoves your mileage may vary. Uncle Jed's are $229 at greenways in Mount Pleasant but for less than $200 the Somersets are better value for me next year. :)

Red61 said:
This is our first year burning pellets. We have a ton left and would like to store some for next season.
We found two fairly good deals
Maeder Bros. Pellets. 189. a ton
or Michigan Pellet Fuel for 180 a ton - buy 3 ton get 10 bags free.

Has anyone burned either of these? and what did you like or dislike?
thanks

I picked up some Maeder bros to try during the winter. IMO they had lots of ash and didnt burn very hot. The Michigan pellets burned pretty good.

Where are you finding them for 180 a ton? I paid 225 a ton last fall at TSC.

I think I'm switching over to corn exclusivly due to the price per ton and the BTU's I get from corn.

Benkert Farms in Saginaw... just called Menards they carry five brands one is somerset but they want 230. a ton. right now was looking for a end of the season deal to stock for next season. not really a deal in this are at that price.

Still looking at the comparisons posted....
we can burn corn also in our Quadrafire. But i thought corn was pricier?

150 a ton for corn here from the local farm.

To bad we dont have a Menards close to us. I do a lot of travel for work though so I will keep my eyes open for deals.

Corn futures are going for slightly more than $126/ton currently in 140 ton (5,000 bushel contract) lots.

So that farmer direct price is a decent deal.

So in comparision to pellets does corn burn faster or just hotter or both? and if faster, how do you all compare prices with a ton of pellets? and who mixes and uses both.

Still a bit of a drive for us.. but firestarter just found this post on craigslist...maybe it will help you out. was posted 3/11

Rocky Mountain Super Premium, Made in Colorado, 8400 btu .35% ash, Handle built in bag. check out www.rockymountainpellets.com These pellets sold for $239 ton this winter, we are overstocked and selling for ONLY $160 PER TON MARCH ONLY OR UNTIL THEY'RE GONE! Buy Now for next season and save $$$$. Pass the word, Let your friends, family and neighbors know about this great deal.
Smart Energy Solutions
357 S Maple
Grant 231 834-5900
www.visitsmartenergy.com
834-5900
www.visitsmartenergy.com

Status
Not open for further replies.