When do you plan on purchasing your pellets for next heating season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

When do you plan on purchasing your pellets for next heating season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got 5 tons of Okie Gold Deliver today- Will pick another 1/2 ton in October.

Attachments

• IMG_0965 (3).JPG
    IMG_0965 (3).JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 236
I got Blazers for $318

$300/ton, included delivery and pallet jacked in the garage where they will sit for the next 6 monthes.

the Doug firs were $59/ton more.

called around for pricing today. Ace had Ligs for 240.....tomorrow will be 250 (may). Ureal. Picked up a ton then. wood Heat was selling some brand I have not heard of for 269 and you can save a whole5 dollars per ton if you pay by check or cash! You kidding me......then Cozy Barn had Turmans and Keystone for 260 and Hammers for 275. I really thought pellets would be down since gas and oil was so cheap this past year. Will probably try the Hammers for my 2nd ton later this year and wait for my 3rd ton from HD or Lowes to round out 3 tons. What is going on with the prices?

Reactions: bbechtel16
Thank you all for an idea of when you plan to buy or bought... For the folks who don't plan on burning pellets mind if i ask why?

$$$$$$$$. For me, it's because corn is significantly cheaper, and because my furnace burns corn better than it burns pellets. For others, it's probably because the price of oil has come down so much that it's almost the same price as pellets, and it doesn't require hauling, stacking, loading, adjusting, cleaning, etc. Just set the stat and forget it.

I burn some pellets in the shoulder season, but may burn propane this year. I got a flier from a local propane company for $1.59/gallon for the first tank if I switch. One tank will last me through several shoulder seasons.

I buy a year ahead of time ...so for 2015/16 season those were bought last April. I already bought for 2016/17 season

Not burning Oil because we would have to go back to 67 degree thermostat
to keep the Furnace from drinking oil like crazy.
rather have the steady 73 degrees from pellets which if using oil, the drop offs would still be more frequent regardless of price..
.where's the savings then ??

I buy in Spring out of habit. I had always cut and split my cordwood in spring so it had the summer (and sometimes two) to sit there and season. Pellets come pre-seasoned but old habits die hard. I also got in the habit of budgeting through the previous year for the following year's pellets whenever I can to help when the time comes to buy. It's also somewhat satisfying as summer rolls on to know that next winter's heat is on my property.

As others have stated, if I were to switch to oil, the thermostat would end up at 66-68 degrees else I would be burning a LOT of oil. The pellet stove keeps the house at 73.

Last year there were a few folks stating that the spring buy would not be a good deal because prices would only drop as the market changed. Around my area, that never happened, and in fact the prices went up in summer. For what I burn - Ambiance - the price rose $15/ton. The other thing I'm hearing more of lately is "pellets are too expensive, I'm selling my stove and I'll just burn oil." That's all well and good - to each their own - but I would caution anyone who lives in the northeast and plans on relying on only one source of heat. Oil is low right now, but the key words are "right now." We tend to be reactionary as people, but no matter what the futures forecast says, anything can happen at any time. Prices can rapidly change, shortages can occur rather quickly - and that's great that you pre-bought 1000 gallons of #2, but if your dealer doesn't have it to give you, then you ain't getting it. For so long as I choose to live in a place where winter sucks, I will have two heat sources. IMHO, the best backup is wood if you have the means to get it from your own property, but I'm getting older and tired of being heated 5 times by it.

Reactions: batchman
Jeeze,some of you keep your houses really hot! I keep my thermostat at 62 degrees all winter.

Dave

Reactions: pete7713
Jeeze,some of you keep your houses really hot! I keep my thermostat at 62 degrees all winter.

I cant speak for anyone else, but my wife has a medical condition and gets cold very easily, so for me, it's all about keeping her comfortable.

I cant speak for anyone else, but my wife has a medical condition and gets cold very easily, so for me, it's all about keeping her comfortable.

My wife has a medical condition too, it's called menopause. She gets hot flashes, she calls them power surges. Anyway, the thermostat stays at 62F. I wear a sweater, but even without a sweater, 70F would be way too high.

Reactions: pete7713
My wife has a medical condition too, it's called menopause. She gets hot flashes, she calls them power surges. Anyway, the thermostat stays at 62F. I wear a sweater, but even without a sweater, 70F would be way too high.
Mine sez she's just as hot as she ever was ............. It just comes in flashes now ...............................

I'll buy late September/October but try to hold off on delivery until the ground is frozen, or at least after the garden is done being a garden.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.