When do you stop cutting for the year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
This is our first year, so we are still working out a system, but basiclly we have been cutting non stop since march. Cut 7 cords for this year, and 4 for next year. We go for 2-3 hours at a time, a few times a week. My plan now is to have half of next years, and resume in early spring getting the other half for 09/10.

Do you have a certain time in the year when you stop cutting?

Do you keep going as long as you can to get as much as you can?

I had a triaxle delivered this year so I'll stop when it is all cut, split and stacked. I personally like cutting in the winter months because it gives me a reason to get outside more often. With the wood we have from the delivery and some other stuff I will scrounge, we will have 2 years worth.

Tripper

I try and do wood related chores for 30-60 minutes a day weather permitting so progress is made and the drudgery is eliminated. The only time that we work over an hour per day is in late fall when trees are harvested. Then it's one tree a day till about 20-25 logs are staged up for spring C&S;-ing. Mostly snow and wind are the show stoppers.

Harvesting is the hardest work cause we aren't looking for the easy takes. It's starts with the biggest trees, then the forked trees...there's a pecking order and often times a ladder and rope is involved to avoid hang ups.

Last month a bunch of dead trees were marked with engineer tape and they'll be cut during the winter...mostly as something to do but dead trees are also in that pecking order above.

Andy once you turn the corner and get a year and a half ahead you'll notice real progress cause you're not behind the 8ball. It's a different state of mind knowing you don't HAVE to C&S;anymore you doing it because you enjoy it.

I like to have my logs cut to length by the time winter gets here and then split all through the winter months. There are a couple of reasons for this. One, who wants to be splitting when it is 90 outside, I'd rather, as they say, let the wood heat me twice, once when I'm splitting it, and again when I'm burning it. Second, it splits nicer once it is frozen. This is more of a bonus if you split by hand. I like to have them cut to length prior to winter because it is easier on the chains.

savageactor7 said:
It's a different state of mind knowing you don't HAVE to C&S;anymore you doing it because you enjoy it.

Well, my situation kind of forces me to stop for the year...

Personally, I enjoy felling, bucking and splitting. The problem is the kids. They aren't old enough to stay home by themselves, but they are old enough to help... but thy are pretty spent from this summer and I don't think its fair to them to make them keep going, plus with homework and all that stuff it leaves less time in the day. Shoot, I would keep going if I could.

*shrug*

Growing up, we only cut wood in the winter. I only cut this summer so I could have a supply for my first year in my new old house.

My father cut 4 - 5 cords per winter just on the weekends, with my sister and me helping. I far prefer to cut and split in the winter. I reconfirmed this by cutting my supply this summer. Chainsaw safety gear or maul splitting plus hot weather = major suckage.

That mindset originated from my father when he was a dairy farmer though. Summer was full of growing feed, winter was for trimming fencelines and cutting wood.

Year round project. More like continual weeding.
A little here, a little there, it all adds up.

I have a good size pile of logs t cut that have been placed in the pile all year.
Cut and split when it gets too cold to garden, or when the back-hoe and bucket come off the tractor and the plow gets put on.

Stop cutting wood?? This is a new concept to me LOL

year round here... a day here and there.. It better than trying to do it all in a couple weekends.. It's good routine exercise

I agree about the good routine excercise. My biggest set back is having a 2 year old and a wife that doesnt work a set schedule. I am at the mercy of her days off most of the time.

Im not a big winter person, and it gets pretty cold up here. I could not imagine being out there in anything colder than 40* or so.

For all those that cut in the winter, what do you do with your saws and stuff around the snow?

moshiersr said:
Stop cutting wood?? This is a new concept to me LOL

year round here... a day here and there.. It better than trying to do it all in a couple weekends.. It's good routine exercise
Same here I stop when it gets to cold,rain,or just plain run out of wood

CowboyAndy said:
I agree about the good routine excercise. My biggest set back is having a 2 year old and a wife that doesnt work a set schedule. I am at the mercy of her days off most of the time.

Im not a big winter person, and it gets pretty cold up here. I could not imagine being out there in anything colder than 40* or so.

For all those that cut in the winter, what do you do with your saws and stuff around the snow?

40 degrees? Lol, that's approaching my upper threshold for woodwork. I'm comfortable at about 25 degrees. Plus, wood splits much nicer (especially if you do it all by hand) when it's frozen through.

Snow and ice are both softer than steel. They don't dull your chain. Bar oil is hydrophobic. A little snow on the wood doesn't hurt things.

For safety, I'll use a traction aid of some sort on my boots if it's real slippery out.

The real concern is losing my favorite wedge in the snow... :)

CowboyAndy said:

Try not to lose it. :)

Hemlocks and pines usually have no snow under them and the snow is usually wind driven. If the base of a tree is buried you move on. Or shovel.

I'll have tarps over piles near the garage.
You pick the good days when you can get at it sometimes.

I've even taken the snowblower into the woods near a pile where I knew there were no branches to give myself a spot to work.

Sometimes packed down snow is better than the mud under fresh snow.

10 degrees isn't so bad if ya keep moving. The wind is what's nasty.

CowboyAndy said:
I could not imagine being out there in anything colder than 40* or so.

Huh???? Thats the best time there is, in my opinion. Thats when you can really get down to work without the sweat dripping in your eyes. I love a nice, crisp, calm, 20 degree, clear winter day. Gets the blood pumping. I'll be down to a sweat shirt and loving it.

Signed: Big bear Jags. ;-P

I agree, about 25-30 is ideal splitting temperature, maybe even a bit colder if the wind isn't blowing.

This year I have it easy, I have a pile of logs to cut up into rounds and an already cut up pile of rounds that will probably take me most the winter to split up, but it will get me through 2009-2010 and get me started on 2010-2011 wood.. :)

The latest project is moving the seasoned stuff into the shed for the winter.. I've got to figure out a better way rather than be moving wood 2-3 times.. lol

Never had a problem with my saw in the snow..

I cut all year long if the wood is avalable and most times it is. I plan to cut up 6 pickup loads this weekend. A friend has some property that was timbered and tops are laying around. I have enough cut for about 3 seasons for home and at my cabin, about 25 cords. Fall is my favorite time to cut. It is beautiful in the woods and not 90 degrees. I have a husky 350 , 30 ton splitter and a old Ford Ranger woods truck (not road worthy) Have a great time.

Another advantage to cutting and splitting in the Winter is one can stand in one spot , sometimes for hours, without 10 acres of (fast moving) mosquitos fighting over your Deeted epidermis.

Husky sells a winter kit for their saws. Makes cold weather running much easier. Just keep the saw and chain from getting to much snow or being to wet. Great time to cut. I live in the north central region of Pennsylvania, and yes we get the snow.

The snow gets too deep, or it's bitter-bitter cold. I am getting better about getting ahead on wood. It's not drudgery at all to me- it's more like a dependence :)

Wish I was out making trees into neat piles right now.

The only time I don't do wood is mid summer to late fall. I'm just too busy getting hay in to do much else.
But I try to drop a bunch of trees in the spring to skid out and work on in fall/winter, just in case like last year when there was so much snow I couldn't get into the woods. Then early spring its sugaring season so while I'm cutting its pine and not for the house.

I quit cutting for 2007, does that count ?
2006, too.
:)

Woould have to say that the only time I do not collect wood is Summer as it is to hot. Other than that usually 1 - 2 hours a weekend. I vowed that I would stop when I have obtained 2 years worth of wood stacked, hasn't happened yet but it may happen this year.

Catskill said:
I stop in the summer when it's real hot or when there's snow on the ground. Other than that I just keep cutting.

Around here- when there's snow on the ground in the summer, I stop cutting wood and try to fly or time travel. I mean- it could be a sign.

I stop when I don't have any wood to cut. Usually I cut less in the summer (bugs, busy with the kids and fishing), and then crank it up big time in the early fall before hunting. Never know, sometimes you find a new spot to look for Bambi's dad. After hunting get going again. Best time of year is during the winter as long as the wind is not howlin', start a fire in the outdoor pit and toss some of the scraps in.

Status
Not open for further replies.