When do you stop. New pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
I have about four to five year supply here at the house stacked and drying. I have about 2 more cords at my dad's place all cut and about 75% split. It is a 50 mile round trip from house to house that I have been trucking a pickup load at a time. I work in my town's school dist. and cannot touch any of the trees that I cut down because big boys in office said so. My local township Highway Dept. has been cutting Ash tree since spring 5 days a week, so today I stopped in to talk to highway foreman and asked about the logs. He said you want logs, yes 2-3 loads, are you sure? They are 8' long and big, we pick them up with the tractor, then I showed him some pictures of the logs I split. Ok Monday will start to bring you some logs.

So at what point do you stop. I can not resist free logs delivered to my house.

I have about four to five year supply here at the house stacked and drying. I have about 2 more cords at my dad's place all cut and about 75% split. It is a 50 mile round trip from house to house that I have been trucking a pickup load at a time. I work in my town's school dist. and cannot touch any of the trees that I cut down because big boys in office said so. My local township Highway Dept. has been cutting Ash tree since spring 5 days a week, so today I stopped in to talk to highway foreman and asked about the logs. He said you want logs, yes 2-3 loads, are you sure? They are 8' long and big, we pick them up with the tractor, then I showed him some pictures of the logs I split. Ok Monday will start to bring you some logs.

So at what point do you stop. I can not resist free logs delivered to my house.
Easy answer: When the Mrs. starts to pack a suitcase. That should be a hint.

It depends on how much space you have. I max out at about 12 cords. That is 4 year supply for me. If you have the space and the ability to keep it dry keep on going.

Reactions: DTrain and bboulier
I have a little over 6.5 cords in the back yard, which is for a little under 2 seasons. I aim for a 4 season supply stacked. I think that will be the point I stop getting more supply.

After 28 years of marriage and 6 years before that I don't think anyone, me or her is going any place. At least I hope not.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Fespo: Just curious - Do you top cover wood that's not going to be burned for 5 years?

Fire_man, I will cover this year because the stack are close together.

Osagebr: Boy would I like to try burning Osage Orange before I croak. It's one of my goals in life!

Reactions: LocustPocust
Wood hoarding really is a bit of an addiction I think. I've got nine cords ready to go and I keep looking for more. Question is, how long can a stacked pile of wood last? Seriously, at some point it's going to rot, isn't it?

Reactions: Omaha419
I have some 4 year old ash & oak still solid, I only cover the first 2 years

Osagebr: Boy would I like to try burning Osage Orange before I croak. It's one of my goals in life!

You and me both. The USDA lists Osage Orange as Native to NY and MA but I've never seen any nor ever heard of anybody having any. Black Locust is as good as it gets for me (USDA says that Native too but I know for fact it's not)

I have about 1.5 cords of hedge. I mix it with other wood when burning. Some serious heat and sparks. I normally save it for when it gets really cold.

Matt

Nice post, I'm way ahead on my supply now and I don't want to clog up the yard too bad so I have slowed down production a bit, still processing bits at a time, but it's nice to be far ahead......

Reactions: CenterTree
At the beginning of this season I had 13 cord, but I'm intending to keep adding. My problem is, since I have been insulating my house where needed and sealing up all the air leaks, my wood consumption has dropped considerably. No more big fires for me. What that means is instead of burning 2 cord a year, I may drop to a cord and a half or less this year, and even less next year once I have completed everything. Realistically looking at it, I could potentially be 10 years ahead at this point. Should I stop adding to my piles? No way! If I run out of space, I'll just start stacking on top of the other stacks. I don't believe there is such a thing as too much firewood.

Keep it covered and it will last forever. Look at your house. If it's like mine it's made of wood. The wood is covered to protect it from the elements and provide a living space. Baring any leaks of other catastrophes, it could last hundreds of years. So keep it all covered and horde to your hearts content! :cool:

Wish I had enough room to store as much as some of u do...........;em;em;em

I have a friend that has a tree service, he brings me the good stuff no junk. I have plenty of room, so as long as he is bringing it I will take it.

So at what point do you stop.

1. When you run out of room.
  2. When the Mrs. starts packing.
  3. When you can't burn it all before it rots.
==c

Status
Not open for further replies.