When is a garage not a garage? (or what makes a garage into a shop)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Hi all.

I am certain my local (and maybe state) building code will not allow a woodstove/wood boiler to be installed into a garage. (Makes sense, gasoline and open flames in the same room, not a good idea). My garage however, is a "woodshop", couldn't get a car into it if you wanted to....BUT, as far as the building inspector is concerned (who must inspect the final install), what can be done to a garage to make it no longer consider a garage in the eyes of the law? Is it the overhead door that makes it a garage?

Anyone dealt with this issue as part of their wood boiler setup?

It's a national code, so it's the same everywhere. As I recall, any place where a vehicle can be parked is considered a garage. The restriction only applies to attached garages, however (I think). The easiest solution would be to make the building inaccessible to cars. One popular suggestion is to sink an iron pipe or other permanent barrier at the entrance, making it unnecessary to frame in the garage door, and possible to return the garage to service with a minimum amount of work.

As nofossil suggests, your local inspector is where the rubber meets the road. Since he or she is going to be making the call, best to check first before doing anything.

people put wood burners in garages all the time around here. I really don't understand how a wood burner would be worse then a over head NG heater that had a open flame.

I plan on putting a wood burner in my garage this fall and thought about sectioning off part of it but i don't want to unless i have to.

The guy in the Garn promotional video has his set up in an attached garage, I believe, which tells you how seriously Garn takes the code.

I agree that it's no more dangerous than some of the alternatives. That doesn't change the law, which is pretty specific. My opinion also doesn't carry much weight with your insurance company, which takes its cue from the code. There's a thread around here somewhere with the actual wording, and a rather thorough discussion of the whole issue.

@MrEd

The best place to look to find out if you can do it is a local chimney sweep. From a certification standpoint they need to know all new codes and rules for all appliances. From what I've seen it is a NFPA code. It was meant so that people wouldn't put a wood stove into a garage and blow themselves up while working on their cars. As previously stated I don't believe that an inspector cares what you call the garage (i.e. workshop, woodshop, hobby shop, etc) if it has a door that can accomadate an automobile than it's a garage. The other factor is that as a homeowner you can practically install anyway you want but you take the responsibility of the install and if you need it inspected than the inspector is going to use the wording in the manufacturer's owners manual and local fire codes.

I would seriously look into finding a certified chimney sweep and ask him his thoughts.

Eric Johnson said:
The guy in the Garn promotional video has his set up in an attached garage, I believe, which tells you how seriously Garn takes the code.

I agree that it's no more dangerous than some of the alternatives. That doesn't change the law, which is pretty specific. My opinion also doesn't carry much weight with your insurance company, which takes its cue from the code. There's a thread around here somewhere with the actual wording, and a rather thorough discussion of the whole issue.

The Garn is a sealed combustion appliance which takes all of the combustion air from outside the space through a direct outdoors connection. Sealed combustion appliances are allowed in a garage.

That being said, I would never recommend anyone installing any type of heater in a garage without checking with your local inspector. Every code book I have in my possession has the statement "these codes are applied subject to local jurisdiction". In other words, your local inspector has the final Yea/Nay on just about anything.

I made a call to my local building inspector, and he pretty much said if you can get a car in it, it is still a garage. Framing in the door and making it otherwise inaccessible to a car is all I need to do (I don't use it as a garage anyway, so I am happy to get rid of the 15 foot overhead door).

He also said I could "subdivide" the garage and put the boiler in one room and the car in the other, except the boiler couldn't draw its air supply from the garage (i.e. can't put in a vent from the boiler room to the garage), but an outside vent for air would be OK.

I am probably going to just turn the whole thing into a permanent shop since I have not put a car in it in years, and putting the boiler their makes firewood "delivery" (me with my tractor) very convenient.

heaterman said:
Eric Johnson said:

The Garn is a sealed combustion appliance which takes all of the combustion air from outside the space through a direct outdoors connection. Sealed combustion appliances are allowed in a garage.

That being said, I would never recommend anyone installing any type of heater in a garage without checking with your local inspector. Every code book I have in my possession has the statement "these codes are applied subject to local jurisdiction". In other words, your local inspector has the final Yea/Nay on just about anything.

theres still a chance for an open flame when the door is open.

ugenetoo said:
heaterman said:
Eric Johnson said:

theres still a chance for an open flame when the door is open.

That is a valid point. The fact still remains though that a Garn is a sealed combustion appliance during normal operation. It should also be understood that some codes and localities allow open combustion appliance in a garage provided the "flame area" is a minimum of 18" from the floor. I don't know of any other wood burner, of any type, that can make both of those claims in the US market. As for installing one in a garage, please re-read the boldfaced print in my other post.

It is a national code, but these are usually subject to interpretation by the local inspectors.......they may be right, they may be wrong (when interpreting), but at the same time that is what would "allow" you to do it not.

In terms of your own safety, the main things (IMHO) are that you not store motor vehicles or gasoline and/or other extreme flammables.

The local inspector here told me the same as you were told. I opted to put a shed behind the garage for the boiler but if I had out it in the garage i would have needed to build a boiler room to separate it from the "garage" space. Thing is because the space is not heated the boiler room would be the way to go anyway and just heat the garage when I want to.

I've read several times on this site that wood burning appliances are prohibited in garages per the national codes. NFPA develops consensus standards and they are not "codes" (with a couple exceptions) unless specifically adopted by local jurisdictions or states. Taking NYS for example, they adopted the International Building Code and tweaked it as they wanted. NYS does adopt some NFPA standards, but they are generally only for the design and installation of fire protection systems. The NYS code does allow wood buring appliances, water heaters, etc installed in a private garage (attached or detached) provided the source of ignition is at least 18" above the floor. I just took out a woodstove I made myself that had the door and draft control 36" above the floor and installed a wood boiler that has the door and draft control 40" above the floor. This is legal in NYS. However a local jurisdiction may have adopted more stringent requirements on this so you would need to check. Insurance companies can pose any restrictions they want, but it is hard for me to see why it would be better to have this in the basement rather then in an attached garage that is separated from the house by a 1 hour fire rated barrier.

I can't speak for the other states, but don't assume something in an NFPA code is law.

d-bone20917 said:
I've read several times on this site that wood burning appliances are prohibited in garages per the national codes. NFPA develops consensus standards and they are not "codes" (with a couple exceptions) unless specifically adopted by local jurisdictions or states. Taking NYS for example, they adopted the International Building Code and tweaked it as they wanted. NYS does adopt some NFPA standards, but they are generally only for the design and installation of fire protection systems. The NYS code does allow wood buring appliances, water heaters, etc installed in a private garage (attached or detached) provided the source of ignition is at least 18" above the floor. I just took out a woodstove I made myself that had the door and draft control 36" above the floor and installed a wood boiler that has the door and draft control 40" above the floor. This is legal in NYS. However a local jurisdiction may have adopted more stringent requirements on this so you would need to check. Insurance companies can pose any restrictions they want, but it is hard for me to see why it would be better to have this in the basement rather then in an attached garage that is separated from the house by a 1 hour fire rated barrier.

I can't speak for the other states, but don't assume something in an NFPA code is law.

I know of a lot of people around here who have wood furnaces in the garage. A friend just sold his house with one, no issues. Another friend installed his in his garage during construction and had it inspected, and it passed. When I installed mine, the insurance company had no issues, said it was fine. All that confused me - until now. NFPA standards are not code or law - this explains so much.

The AHJ authority having jurisdiction makes the final call, usually they are a step above the inspector, the chief building official generally. You may need to go to the county or state if your town does not have a building department. Most codes adopt NFPA, at least in part, some add additional language. I've been on a few code change committees and this varies widely from area to area.

But also check with your insurance. A customer yesterday told me his carrier said no to indoor or outdoor wood burners without UL listing. Some say no to solid fuel devices indoor regardless of listings. So check with all the players involved.

Regardless all indoor fuel burning devices should include CO and smoke detectors regardless of the code requirement. I think a fire sprinkler head or two is a wise addition also.

hr

I live in a small town in Maine, and when I was planning my Tarm install in the garage, I sectioned off a corner with a separate door to the outside. I called the code enforcement officer, told him what I was doing, and he was only wanted to know if I was doing any plumbing (domestic water). He said he didn't need to come look at it. Then I called my insurance company to get their input, and they told me that they are going to go by what the town says. I ended up putting a door from the garage space to the boiler room. Makes it easier on those really cold nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.