When is it OK to stack wood beside your house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRages

Oct 20, 2009
Mid Missouri
We have 4.5 cord of multiple hardwood varieties collected, split and stacked over the past 6 months. Most of the wood is currently sitting out in the open 30 ft from the house and drying (only when it is not raining :lol: ). At what point in time should I move and stack a couple of cord under our deck next to the house and out of the elements?

I'd rather not invite vermin - mice, ants, bugs, etc near the house any earlier in the fall/winter than absolutely necessary, and the deck is the best wood cover available.

I would wait for a nice dry spell in the fall and then move what you need to.

I would want some under cover before the snow starts piling up and once I fill that area up I would continue to get wood from the far piles until they are full of snow. Use the wood under cover only when you have to.

After the first good hard freeze but before the snow falls :) Good luck timing that one though eh?

CJRages said:
We have 4.5 cord of multiple hardwood varieties collected, split and stacked over the past 6 months. Most of the wood is currently sitting out in the open 30 ft from the house and drying (only when it is not raining :lol: ). At what point in time should I move and stack a couple of cord under our deck next to the house and out of the elements?

I'd rather not invite vermin - mice, ants, bugs, etc near the house any earlier in the fall/winter than absolutely necessary, and the deck is the best wood cover available.

It's cheaper to buy a Rhino Yamaha with a plow along with a wagon then pile it far enough from the house then go get it has you need it. :)

Zap

zapny said:
It's cheaper to buy a Rhino Yamaha with a plow along with a wagon then pile it far enough from the house then go get it has you need it. :)

Zap

Looks like a good reason to buy much needed equipment. :)

Slow1 said:
After the first good hard freeze but before the snow falls :) Good luck timing that one though eh?

I like that plan. Usually late October or early November yields the first solid freeze here.

CJRages said:
zapny said:

Zap

This year my (our) wood is further away from the house so were getting a plow put on the Rhino this August, guess I better tell the BOSS! :coolgrin:

Zap

zapny said:
CJRages said:
zapny said:

Zap

This year my (our) wood is further away from the house so were getting a plow put on the Rhino this August, guess I better tell the BOSS! :coolgrin:

Zap

surprise her thats what I did last auguest.

CJRages said:
Slow1 said:

I like that plan. Usually late October or early November yields the first solid freeze here.

That is when I typically do it; late October or early November.

On the third Tuesday of the month after 3:30pm following the first full moon after the vernal equinox. I think.

Pagey said:
On the third Tuesday of the month after 3:30pm following the first full moon after the vernal equinox. I think.

Let's see... Vernal Equinox is March 20th, then we had a full moon March 30th... and the third Tuesday in April would have been April 20th. And now that it is after 3:30 PM - we are all systems go!

zapny said:

+1

We use the Big Boss and haul 3 loads (tad less than 1/2 cord) from the wood piles to the covered porch every week or so. I find that I don't need a plow. Every snow, I ride the backwoods and around-the-house paths to pack down the tracks. After a few snowfalls, it's like riding a slot car. Can't go off the track even if I wanted to!

Slow1 said:

+1 or +2 . . . plus it's cooler weather to work in when this happens typically . . . another benefit to moving the stacks then.

I've found that it's best to wait for a good solid freeze or two before bringing my wood up onto my porch. Otherwise there's bug activity. And I NEVER stack directly against the house. I've found that my stacks of wood stay real nice and dry all winter if I keep the tops covered and the sides wide open. Sure it'll rain/snow and get the wood wet on the ends but it dries out in the wind that always follows a storm. And there's always enough dry stuff right under the top cover that I can use if need be. I used to get nuts with it all, wanting to build a big wood shed, tarps, you know the drill. Now I cover the tops of the stacks with plywood and such, then rubber roof material on top of that, then splits/rounds/block or whatever to hold it down. Works just fine.

The less wood next to the house the better, and the less wood IN the house the better, IMHO.

ansehnlich1 said:
I've found that it's best to wait for a good solid freeze or two before bringing my wood up onto my porch. Otherwise there's bug activity. And I NEVER stack directly against the house. I've found that my stacks of wood stay real nice and dry all winter if I keep the tops covered and the sides wide open. Sure it'll rain/snow and get the wood wet on the ends but it dries out in the wind that always follows a storm. And there's always enough dry stuff right under the top cover that I can use if need be. I used to get nuts with it all, wanting to build a big wood shed, tarps, you know the drill. Now I cover the tops of the stacks with plywood and such, then rubber roof material on top of that, then splits/rounds/block or whatever to hold it down. Works just fine.

The less wood next to the house the better, and the less wood IN the house the better, IMHO.
Well I been at this a while and I have wood in the garage and a wood box in the house, I bring my wood in the house before it freezes and never have any bugs, my wood is in single rows and bugs do not like dry wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.