When is the mid point?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wowwza, it's been cold here. Dixie has a blanket on, that's how cold the "Cheese Head" is :)

Figured I had enough CSS for 2 stoves for the winter. Didn't expect this nasty cold, and am sweating right now for 2011/2012.

A plus for us is that we took down 6 50' + pines, which was CSS in August ( 2 were dead, dead, deadski). With the wind and it being stacked in a single row, it's pretty good to go. Works during the day when the Dixette is home, and she tends both stoves. I tend both she she is away from the house, so it works.

I have access to an excellent wood guy, so if I have to buy, I have to buy. At $180 per cord, it's still cheaper than oil. And the burner isn't working anyways >:-(

Got a mother load of wood at the farm to be processed, just gotta find the time.

Whew, I'm better off than I thought, I've used approximately 1/3 of my supply, but haven't touched the oak or ash yet. December has been well below normal for temps, but snowfall also, so I was able to burn the less desirable stuff much later into the season. As of tomorrow or Friday I'll break into the covered building/wood shed & start burning the good stuff. Yea! A C

P.S. As of Jan 2, 2011 the saws go back to full time duty. Due to a busy work schedule & the holidays the cutting time has been reduced to almost nil. I've got somewhere between 6-8 cord laying around a few different properties that need to get back here.

midwestcoast said:
You guys'll still talk to me right??
With the low gas prices, I've been hitting the stacks less. Got another 2 years worth ranked up at this rate.

Well, I started with about 8 cord with around 6 ready, willing and able to burn. Since this is our first 'full' season I had no idea, for sure anyway, how much wood I'd need.

I kind of planned our cordage by using a saying for each 250 gallon of oil you burn, figure one cord and we normally got 4 oil fills per season. Based on that saying I made sure I had at least 4 cord ready for 2010/11 - I went a little overboard - hubby even said "We don't need any dang more wood!" :)

It's been really cold here, 10-15 degrees for around 2 week if I recall correctly, yet I figure I have gone through slightly less than .8 of one cord.

So - what does that say - .8 of a cord equates slightly less than a 250 gallon fill using our stove setup, our home, lower than normal December temps.

One thing I'm not missing is paying a $600+/- for our second oil fill a couple days before Christmas! :)

PS We will NOT run out of wood! Yeah!

I'd say midpoint is around middle of Jan., and we started burning just past the middle of September. That was a couple weeks early for us.
Used up somewhere between a cord and a cord & 1/3. We're hitting a slight warm up that's supposed to hang on for quite a few days (fingers crossed), so that's been helping offset the really cold that hit earlier this month. The cold months are dead ahead though, so hang on to your hats, eh?
Almost 7 cord in the shed to start the season and we usually use just under 5, so I think we're good. I can access next years stuff if needed (but don't wanna').

Had a hankering to measure the pile. EXACTLY half of the 4 cords left. I guess a little ahead of the curve, but it'll be nice to have an empty third garage bay empty for a little while, anyway.

Danno77 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Danno, we don't worry. We have lots.
I'll be able to sleep tonight. I was afraid you were almost out.
Lol!! Don't worry Danno, I am not blessed with 468 years worth of wood either.

well, I've got about enough to fill the indoor rack and I'll be at the halfway point in the woodstack. That should last me 'til tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.