When it rains, it pours!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmmuellr

Nov 23, 2009
SE Michigan
Two weeks ago I get a call from my in-laws saying that an uncle's girlfriend just had a big cherry tree taken down, and do I want the wood. I get there and its all bucked, ready for splitting! Load it into my truck (two loads in an F250 short bed, she had taken the smaller stuff to her wood pile). Stacked in my driveway waiting for the splitter.

Tuesday morning my in-laws calls and his neighbor is taking down a big maple. Do I want the wood? Its stacked in his driveway in 4 foot lengths.

30 minutes ago my mom calls and says that her friend has had a locust taken down. Do I want half the wood (they'll keep the other half).

I'm travelling to much for work, and need to find the time to process all of this!!

K

ETA: I'll be renting a splitter from Home Depot. How quickly can I process the wood (likely by myself) w/ a splitter?

Kevin, it sounds like you are falling into it! That is super when the start calling you.

How quickly you can process is difficult to tell. If you have not split before it will definitely take you longer until you learn what you are doing. Typical is making the wedge go through the entire cycle when it is not needed. In fact, I rarely let the wedge go all the way back up. Also a lot of wood you do not need to run the wedge all the way down. Then there is the part of how you have to splitting stack. Is it stacked or threw into a pile? If stacked and you put the splitter right next to the stack it can go really fast. I usually do that and throw the splits into a big pile. It really does not take long to split a cord of wood by yourself. Here are a couple pictures to show what we do. The first shows the logs stacked up and the splitter along beside the stack. When you get to where you can't reach the logs any more, it is really quick and easy to move the splitter ahead, sit back down and go to work.

3-23-09b.jpg

And here is the end of the splitting. Now comes the stacking.
4-4-09e.jpg

btw, all the warnings say you need to stand beside the splitter before splitting. That means put a log on and walk around to the other side before running the wedge. To me that is foolish and what about those logs you need to hold on the butt plate? I always sit while splitting and that makes the work super easy. As for some splits flying, yes they could and sometimes do but it is rare and not on all types of wood. Soft maple is one that can go flying but as you can guess, if the split goes flying, it will go left or right and not towards the man doing the splitting.

I'd forget the splitter. I think you could do it by hand faster than you could go to Home depot, rent a splitter, tow it home, learn to use it, take it back, drive home... Just starts swinging and in three hours it will all be split.

Wood Duck, that may be good advice for a young man or one who is really physical but sooner or later many come to where they simply can't do it. Most also would not do the entire pile at one time so the job could be strung out for a few days or weeks.

Yes, at one time I would have thought nothing about doing that splitting by hand. Nor would I balk at carrying 100 pound bags around. Nor did I holler while working at logging or at the mill. But those things do tend to come back and haunt you later in life.

Wood Duck said:
I'd forget the splitter. I think you could do it by hand faster than you could go to Home depot, rent a splitter, tow it home, learn to use it, take it back, drive home... Just starts swinging and in three hours it will all be split.

+1

Wood Duck said:

agreed. even faster to have my wife or son 'set me up'. then the person swinging the maul never has to move his/her feet and you can really get into a rythym. then change it around. actually here the set up person is working the hardest cuz they're doing all the bending and throwing. we can bust thru a serious pile of wood doing this.

until....

....we hit the big rounds. the ugly ones that won't split. then all the efficiency bogs down...that's when i start swearing. i have to get out the chain saw and noodle a slot to pound in a wedge. i know i'm in trouble when its stringy and it takes an all out effort just to get the beast split in HALF. so then i pick up the monster maul and try to quarter it and its all stringy and its like pulling teeth just to get ONE ROUND split into stove sizes. those pieces demoralize me. at that point its no longer a 3-man job but a 1-man with 2 watching. and trust me, i've been splitting by hand for 35 years (45 counting scouts) and i flippin' LOVE to split wood. but i work alot of huge rounds and the splitter never even flinches on the biggest ones. heck i'm singing while i'm workin' the splitter !!! (btw - i may have become a verticle convert...nice not to have to lift 30" green oak)

to each his own !!!

best

OT

If you have to or prefer using a splitter, then what Dennis said. Otherwise, it's not likely this wood can be burned this winter. Were it me, I'd split with a maul over weeks, a little each day to get the physical active benefit for longer rather than all at once. It's good once you're known as a firewood user - the scores can start happening. Pretty cool

Gark said:
If you have to or prefer using a splitter, then what Dennis said. Otherwise, it's not likely this wood can be burned this winter. Were it me, I'd split with a maul over weeks, a little each day to get the physical active benefit for longer rather than all at once. It's good once you're known as a firewood user - the scores can start happening. Pretty cool

+1 That wood won't be ready this year, why not just stack it in rounds and split little by little when you have more time.

Todd said:
That wood won't be ready this year, why not just stack it in rounds and split little by little when you have more time.

No room to have a cord+ of wood sitting around. I need to knock it out and get it to my storage area asap. My wife is pissed that the cherry has been sitting for two weeks.

Regarding splitting by hand: I usually do, and was intending to do that w/ the cherry when I got it. However, it wasn't splitting well at all. I was giving it all I've got and barely making a dent (cut Friday, splitting Monday.) I busted my ass just splitting one round (1.5' diameter.) Maybe now that its dried a bit, it will split easier, I don't know, but I figure for $60 I can rent the splitter and knock out all the wood that I've got, return the splitter, and start stacking.

K

Occasionally cherry can indeed split hard; especially those that get twisted. But I fail to understand why anyone would be upset about having wood sitting around. Well, maybe sometimes as I've seen some places that really look bad when the wood is just thrown all over the place or the wood stacks look sloppy. Those woodpiles are better to look at than a CD you have at the bank!

Those woodpiles are better to look at than a CD you have at the bank!

Right now the woodpile is a better return on the investment.

KC

Dennis, quite a few people care more about aesthetics than function.
I'm the opposite.
kmmuellr, Despite the travelling, can you find even 15-30 minutes/day to work on this?
Doing it that way at least allows the missus to see it going away, even if just a bit at a time.
HTH

iskiatomic said:
Those woodpiles are better to look at than a CD you have at the bank!

Right now the woodpile is a better return on the investment.

Boy ain't that the truth. You can keep your .33% interest rate on my savings account. I'll take my heat! A C

KC

Guess I'm lucky. After 1 winter with the house as warm as she wants ( and she likes it hot!) my wife doesn't bat an eye at me bringing home mountains of wood. She's usually got gloves on and the splitter warmed up by the time I get there, lol.

PapaDave said:
Dennis, quite a few people care more about aesthetics than function.
I'm the opposite.
kmmuellr, Despite the travelling, can you find even 15-30 minutes/day to work on this?
Doing it that way at least allows the missus to see it going away, even if just a bit at a time.
HTH

Do you think our wood piles look so bad? I say as long as they are stacked neatly and no unsightly tarps blowing in the wind a nice neat wood pile is a very good addition to any yard. I'd even like to see some on the White House lawn!

I like the way stacks look. Wife doesn't. Neighbors like it even less!

Swung by my in-laws house last night. At least a cord of maple. I figure I have 2/3 of a cord or so of cherry in the driveway. Drove by my mom's friend's and there's not a lot, but beggars can't be choosers, about 3/4 of a face.

Went to Sears and bought a Fiskars to see what all the hype is about. It sunk in all the way in the cherry where my maul was pretty much bouncing off, but still no magic split (14" round)! I'll definately be renting a splitter to knock all of this out in one night.

K

A friend of mine split over two cords in one day and hes not experienced at all. He also rented from HD, $100 for the day at our local HD.

I have 2 broken vertabrae and all but 3 discs torn up in my back and I still split alot of my wood with a 15lb maul. Amazing what pain killers will let you do.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wood Duck, that may be good advice for a young man or one who is really physical but sooner or later many come to where they simply can't do it. Most also would not do the entire pile at one time so the job could be strung out for a few days or weeks.

Yes, at one time I would have thought nothing about doing that splitting by hand. Nor would I balk at carrying 100 pound bags around. Nor did I holler while working at logging or at the mill. But those things do tend to come back and haunt you later in life.

I started burning last year and got the word out that I will take free wood. I got a call from a friend that they were having 25 trees taken down in their back yard, it would be cut to length and all I had to do was show up. I made 7 trips w/ my f250 long bed and two w/ my truck and trailer loaded to the gills. I estimate about 5-6 cords of hickory, cherry and hard maple. Yesterday, I get a call from a summer camp that I cut on during the cooler months. The power company took down some trees and it is more than the maintenance guy can handle himself. I went to check it out, and there is just a ton of oak, cherry and ash that I can drive right up to, cut and load.

I am spending all of my free time dealing with firewood, have about 10 cords split and stacked on top of the 5-6 laying in rounds and probably have about 7-8 at the camp. For us, each cord of wood replaces about $700 worth of propane.

NATE379 said:
I have 2 broken vertabrae and all but 3 discs torn up in my back and I still split alot of my wood with a 15lb maul. Amazing what pain killers will let you do.

Backwoods Savage said:

Fear not Nate. Sad to say, pain killers and me have had an acquaintance for many, many moons.

Last night I went over and got about half of the maple from my in-laws. Its nicely stacked at the end of their driveway, w/ one short-bed load cut to 16". There's about a long truck bed left of 4 foot long, min 6 inch pieces that I'll cut up and haul tonight. Then off to get the locust tomorrow, and start splitting. I'll get pics before I start splitting. Its currently stacked in my driveway. I'm sure the neighbors will start compaining soon!

My in-laws live on a pretty major north-south road that parallels the expressway. My mother-in-law told me that she personally had 9 people stop and ask about the wood. Her brother was over while she was out of town and turned away another two while he was mowing the lawn. A neighbor scared away a pick-up w/ two guys casing it out later one the evening.

Lots of people looking for wood!

K

If my neighbors ever complained about wood in our driveway I'd simply tell them to use their own driveway and not worry about mine. Wood on my place does them no harm and I pay the taxes here so I'll stack where I please. Ya, it is different in the cities but that is another good reason why I live in the country.

Backwoods Savage said:
If my neighbors ever complained about wood in our driveway I'd simply tell them to use their own driveway and not worry about mine. Wood on my place does them no harm and I pay the taxes here so I'll stack where I please. Ya, it is different in the cities but that is another good reason why I live in the country.

I've got a bit to much country in me to deal w/ this HOA, but I do have to admit its a nice neighborhood and VERY close to the kid's schools, so overall I guess I'll deal w/ the BS that comes w/ the HOA.

K

I don't even swing the maul until it's below 20 degrees.....everything splits easier.

If you need to get it processed quickly...rent or borrow a splitter.

Hey kmmuellr, what is HOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.