When it rains, it pours!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got you. Thanks.

Backwoods Savage said:
If my neighbors ever complained about wood in our driveway I'd simply tell them to use their own driveway and not worry about mine. Wood on my place does them no harm and I pay the taxes here so I'll stack where I please. Ya, it is different in the cities but that is another good reason why I live in the country.

+1 :zip:

Oh & +1 with BWS on the pain killers. In the last few years I have learned that one also. I know "now" to take some ibuprofen "BEFORE" going work on the firewood. :)

I'm done gathering. Now I can start splitting.

3 piles about 13 or 14 feet long, 4 1/2 to 5 ft tall. First row is Cherry, second is cherry and maple, third is maple and locust, truck is locust.

row1.jpg

Middlerow.jpg

row3.jpg

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

The locust was a serious PIA to get! Drive right up to it, but HEAVY rounds. I noodled about halfway through a 5 of them and split them w/ a wedge, but it wasn't easy work. Probably a solid 45 min of HARD work to get the wood that's shown in the truck. Can't complain though, because all of the cherry and locust was already bucked, and 50% of the maple was bucked. I just had to drive up to it and load it.

No idea how long it will take me to split, but w/ all the stuff I've got going on, I don't think I'll be able to start until next week. That'll make the neighbors happy!

K

K, time to split for sure but that is probably not enough wood for one winter. Also, I'd hate to be getting wood now and expecting it to burn this winter. That does not sound good at all.

Backwoods Savage said:
K, time to split for sure but that is probably not enough wood for one winter. Also, I'd hate to be getting wood now and expecting it to burn this winter. That does not sound good at all.

I've got more wood. Hopefully I don't need to burn any of this in this winter!! I don't have a lot, but I think I can swing the winter w/ what I have and let this season for a year.

Its definately enough for me. I supplement my furnace. My stove won't heat my whole house (although w/ new windows at the end of the month, I may be able to get closer!)

K

All split up, now I need to move it to my storage location and get it off the driveway!

splits.jpg

splits2.jpg

splitter.jpg

The bed of my truck is also full.

Took much longer than I was expecting. I think I split smaller than most people or something, as I worked at it for a good 5+ hours, 3 of which I had my kids running logs to me, so I just sat there running the splitter.

K

ETA: rented the splitter from Home Depot. No way in hell that 60% of those logs would have split w/ just a maul until they were frozen.

That is really neat that the kids helped you. Makes the job go super sweet. Good job well done.

Backwoods Savage said:
That is really neat that the kids helped you. Makes the job go super sweet. Good job well done.

My 10yo twins were forced to help for about 3hrs. 6 year old was a bit small to have around the machinery and flying logs.

HUGE props out to the 3rd grade neighbor boy who helped though. He arguably worked harder than my twins, and volunteered!

K

That's about like when I went to a neighbor's to split his wood this spring. His 16 year old was supposed to help out and it was appreciated. Then one of the other neighborhood boys came over and I've known this little guy since he was pretty small and we get along great. He always waves and hollers when I go by his place so I do the same. So what does he do? He doesn't just bring a log and set it down by me, he hands it to me! A great helper he is and he is only about 8 or 9 now.

Backwoods Savage said:
That's about like when I went to a neighbor's to split his wood this spring. His 16 year old was supposed to help out and it was appreciated. Then one of the other neighborhood boys came over and I've known this little guy since he was pretty small and we get along great. He always waves and hollers when I go by his place so I do the same. So what does he do? He doesn't just bring a log and set it down by me, he hands it to me! A great helper he is and he is only about 8 or 9 now.

You can tell by that age whether they're going to be workers or not, a lot of kids wouldnt even think of helping and would rather play their video games.

Sad, but true.

kmmuellr said:
Backwoods Savage said:

My 10yo twins were forced to help for about 3hrs. 6 year old was a bit small to have around the machinery and flying logs.

HUGE props out to the 3rd grade neighbor boy who helped though. He arguably worked harder than my twins, and volunteered!

K

I hope you treated that neighbor boy to some pizza for lunch, sodas, candy bars, etc. . . . and maybe even gave him a little something for his time . . . it's always nice when you're a kid to be treated with respect and "thanked" for your work.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time that day, and I haven't seen him since! I'm planning on stopping by his house this week to make sure he and his parents know how much it was appreciated!

K

kmmuellr said:
Unfortunately, I didn't have time that day, and I haven't seen him since! I'm planning on stopping by his house this week to make sure he and his parents know how much it was appreciated!

K

I figured you would be sure to let him know at some point -- if not that day -- that his help was appreciated. I know when I was a kid, just being treated to pizza and soda for lunch or a candy bar for a snack was quite the treat -- made even better by day's end if someone peeled off a $5 bill (which back then seemed like a small fortune.)

Status
Not open for further replies.