When "leaner" doesn't quite explain it...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Been working on a leaner branch that is pretty massive as a "branch". It has been mostly brushed out at this point. I have cut off all the unloaded branches to lessen the weight load. This was a "stop and study" take down that finally ended with me strapping to the butt end still in the tree and giving it a yank or 10 with my truck. It is horizontal now with all but the trunk portion bucked up. Time ran short. Now I gotta move it.
That is my buddy in the hard hat, and this tree in in the back 40 of his neighbors yard.

oak branchsm.jpg

Absolutely NO rot in this tree. Other than having a massive crown to support, I really don't understand why this thing snapped.

Oh - and for those that may not recognize it - that is a big old oak tree. I would guess it at about 250 years old.

Last edited:
That is an impressive tree in a stand of impressive trees. Lots of wood in that branch. I am surprised you were able to pull that thing with a truck. It looks like there is a lot of wood connecting it to the trunk.

... and what do you do for fun???_g

Reactions: Jags
Was this a problem before or after the tornadoes that went through there? Previous storms? We all know our bones become more fragile with age ... why not a tree?:)

This wasn't a storm tree. It just fell over one day (a fairly calm day at that.) It has been like that for about a year. The neighbor/owner of the tree was hoping mother nature would finish the job, but finally decided it better be taken care of. He apparently doesn't know any crazy people, so my buddy offered up my services (I actually know the guy as well). I made him stay in the house while I was cutting. The guy is a ram rod and I didn't want to get anybody hurt over a tree.

My buddy has another tree about 50 yards from this one that should be on the ground as I type. Not quite as big as the tree in the picture, but still a big sucker. Pro service with bucket truck taking it from the top down. This branch and the other tree should yield somewhere in the neighborhood of 3+ cords.

I am surprised you were able to pull that thing with a truck. It looks like there is a lot of wood connecting it to the trunk.
It wasn't an easy pull. The first strap got shorter by about 4 feet. Had to bring out the 4" wide strap to get the job done. The old Dodge in low lock has some grunt.

That is an impressive tree in a stand of impressive trees.
There is about 25-30 acres of the same vintage trees. It used to be a park a long time ago (like 100 years ago), that is now split into 3 separate "yards". Part of it is a low land/creek area. I would consider it a "high rent" district.;)

Last edited:
I made him stay in the house while I was cutting. The guy is a ram rod and I didn't want to get anybody hurt over a tree.

Rammy he may be but smart enough to know he shouldn't tackle this one==c

So, do you get to keep the wood as part of your fee or is the homeowner laying claim?

All mine. This branch as well as the tree that was knocked down today. There is another trunk in the neighbors yard that he would like to make disappear as well. I'm gonna be tired after this....

Reactions: Osagebndr
How many years worth of wood have you got stockpiled now ... especially after all the blow-down from tornado?

How many years worth of wood have you got stockpiled now ... especially after all the blow-down from tornado?

I am not really that far ahead (yet). I simply haven't had time to get at it. There is more tree carnage around than you can shake a chainsaw at. Firewood availability has never really been an issue around me. If I were to have everything in my yard split and stacked, I would guess 15 cord with another 3+ yet to be brought home.

Nice score. Good job on that limb , they can get tricky if you don't think it thru

Turns out that the tree guy knocking the second tree down just topped it. Said it looks healthy enough that it might sprout some new stuff. So only gonna get about 3/4 cord from that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.