When should you wear chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
NATE379 said:
I'd like to say that was possible but with only 24 hrs in a day and 7 days in a week that is about impossible. Maybe when I get old and can retire I can relax, or someone will invent an 8th day?

There's me doing all the housework so my lady doesn't have to lift a finger when she gets home,

Keep that up BK...and you'll be one "lucky" guy....;-P

GAMMA RAY said:
Battenkiller said:
NATE379 said:
I'd like to say that was possible but with only 24 hrs in a day and 7 days in a week that is about impossible. Maybe when I get old and can retire I can relax, or someone will invent an 8th day?

There's me doing all the housework so my lady doesn't have to lift a finger when she gets home,

Keep that up BK...and you'll be one "lucky" guy....;-P

Ha, ha! Yeah, all that housework is gonna wear me out, eh? ;-)

Seeing my husband doing housework is the best aphrodesiac ever....so guys don't say you never learned anything from the Gamma...this is powerful information....use it wisely!!!!!

GAMMA RAY said:
Seeing my husband doing housework is the best aphrodesiac ever....so guys don't say you never learned anything from the Gamma...this is powerful information....use it wisely!!!!!

This is the gear room, are you saying it would be wise to wear boots and chaps? ;-)

smokinjay said:
GAMMA RAY said:

This is the gear room, are you saying it would be wise to wear boots and chaps? ;-)

Chaps sans pantalones and boots should be the "dress code" of choice.... ;-P

smokinjay said:
GAMMA RAY said:

Whoa! That's a powerful image there, dude! :lol:

I got the Husky lightweights with the cutaway crotch for Lady BK. She can wear them anywhere she wants.

Attachments

• Rose's Chaps.jpg
    Rose's Chaps.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 337
chris2879 said:
I kind of knew this was the answer; "all the time." I figured not doing it professionally, just my own wood, people might not wear them, but that shouldn't make any difference. I didn't want to go overkill with gear, but safety first... can't argue with that. I guess I will order a pair.

I'm really late to this particular party but just to add another opinion ... anytime the saws are running , the chaps are on. I force myself to put them on regardless of scope of work. I actually think its more important to use them considering that I don't do it professionally and I always actively avoid the risks that others take needlessly.

In the hope it helps, after researching as much as I could about available makes and models I got the Stihl 9ply Chaps (the regular Stihl Chaps are 7ply). I also washed them right away after purchasing them which is supposed to sort of fluff the material that clogs the saw should you contact your chaps.

I consider every cutting session when I wore chaps but did not need chaps to be a big success, if there is ever a session when I both wear them and need them, it will be a big relief. Things you "invest in" and hope you never actually need.

Regards All - I've inherited a 16" Remington electric CS in good condition and was just starting to get comfortable with the idea of using it (I do have a bit of an irrational fear of the tool) and was planning to order a set of chaps to rest my weary OCD mind when I come upon a bunch of posts here (and then elsewhere) stating that chaps of any kind are no help against an electric cs.

Can someone give me some definitive answer to whether chaps are of any value at all with an electric cs. Better still a link to any scientific (or semi-scientific) info on the subject. I couldn't find any such info with the Google, just links to forums such as this naysaying the idea and some manufacturer sites disclaiming the functionality of said PE protection (Stihl's site for example.) for the electric. More confusing still are some "official" state AGGY university type chainsaw safety tips pages that mention and make no distinction between gas and elec regarding safety.

Common sense tells me that they might at least offer some level of protection in some situations but I've been around long enough to know that "common sense" is sometimes no sense at all. But still, I think a better cutting outfit than Levi's?

TIA,
Littlalex

Mainstation - Heh. love the sig!

Littlalex

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
When they make ones that won't fall off a 24" waist.

Women use chainsaws too, yaknow. >(

~Rose

Give Labonville a call. They'll make them for you.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
No kidding?? Really?

~Rose

I have seen 26's before cant remember where though.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
No kidding?? Really?

~Rose

No kidding. Really. And they are great chaps.

(NOTE: I have no connection to Labonville whatsoever, except that I wear their full-wrap chaps.)

I've had a bunch of people tell me they found 26's at Tractor Supply Co. but I went to three and just got blank stares. And one yukster who asked me if I wore the pants in my house. *rolls eyes*

I will definitely give Labonville a call. Thanks for the tip!

~Rose

NATE379 said:
I guess I'm living on edge. T Shirt, jeans and boots is all I wear, same as with doing most anything else. With the MS290 I do wear earplugs though, cause it's LOUD. My old saw was about 1/2 the noise and I didn't need them.

Guess again fella, unprotected exposure to any gas chainsaw WILL CAUSE HEARING DAMAGE. Always wear your PPE guys!

NATE379 said:
I guess I'm living on edge. T Shirt, jeans and boots is all I wear, same as with doing most anything else. With the MS290 I do wear earplugs though, cause it's LOUD. My old saw was about 1/2 the noise and I didn't need them.

You're probably the guy that doesn't wear a seat belt, doesn't wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle or bicycle, and doesn't believe in muzzle control on a firearm as long as the safety is on.

What was that saying by Forest Gump?

Me, I just got my saws at the end of July and started cutting wood in August. Looked at a pair of chaps and helmet system at my local Ace Hardware the other day and will be buying both shortly. I'm even going to buy the Stihl protective shirt. I already have some gloves I use, but will buy Stihl gloves when I wear these out. Never thought about steel toed boots, but after reading this thread my toes are hurting just thinking about having them chopped off by a chain saw. So, a pair of steel toe boots will be on order shortly. Those work boots will extend the life of my hunting boots.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:

~Rose

Yeah, but won't the chaps get caught on a woman's hips? Wouldn't a woman's hips keep the chaps up.

Could always sew 'em to an old pair of jeans. They actually make chainsaw denims but I've never seen them in women's sizes.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
I've had a bunch of people tell me they found 26's at Tractor Supply Co. but I went to three and just got blank stares. And one yukster who asked me if I wore the pants in my house. *rolls eyes*

I will definitely give Labonville a call. Thanks for the tip!

~Rose

Rose -

Are they for the electric saw that you just picked up?

If so, there is NO REAL PROTECTION from an electric saw AFAIK. The chaps will slow it down, but not stop it; as on a gas saw.
Reasoning : An electric saw has MUCH more torque than a gasser. A gas saw only can produce somuch torque via the carburetor; an electric will just draw more amperage. A gasser will quite when it gets bogged down enough, an electric will quite if/when the breaker trips....

Just a FYI

Nate hasn't held his leg together to keep from getting another look at the bone in it while his neighbor drove him to the emergency room. If he had he wouldn't ever start a saw again without chaps on. I won't.

fabsroman said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:

~Rose

Yeah, but won't the chaps get caught on a woman's hips? Wouldn't a woman's hips keep the chaps up.

Not if you have the hips of a 12 year old. =P And MM, you go and find me a sewing machine that'll go through chainsaw chaps AND denim AND thread that won't snap in half. You'd need a professional serger, which will run you, oh, around five hundred bucks. Not even my 100 year old workhorse Singer could handle that! Handsewing with fishing line would be about it and I'm just not that dedicated. Or good at handsewing.

And yes, I am aware that the chaps won't stop an electric the same way they do a gas one. Still, better than just jeans or leather chaps. The electric is for really small stuff, at home, under optimal conditions only, with a stable sawbuck. Have a gas Stihl that I borrow off my father in law for anything else.

I've seen someone in much the same condition Bart described, only it was from a circular saw. Very motivating, that. Really hoping you were the neighbor in that scenario!

~Rose

NATE379 said:

Yeah, no-one I know says "today, I'm going to cut my leg and wind up in the ER with 72 stitches"..

That's why it's called an accident. I think it's even more concerning cause your attitude seems to be that of "yeah, I'm big and bad and nothing will EVER happen to me"..

Good luck cutting, stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.