When Talking Consumption, What Do You All Mean By ’A Cord’?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cord is equal to or greater than a face rick, which will fit into three truckloads. The truckload is anywhere between one and five racks, which can be used to play 3 or more chords at once. If it weighs the same as a duck, or a really light rock that can float, then you should burn it.

Has anyone mentioned that a cord is 4x4x8'?

CarbonNeutral said:
Has anyone mentioned that a cord is 4x4x8'?

lol yep the very first post

karri0n said:
A cord is equal to or greater than a face rick, which will fit into three truckloads. The truckload is anywhere between one and five racks, which can be used to play 3 or more chords at once. If it weighs the same as a duck, or a really light rock that can float, then you should burn it.

Rain also floats in water

Only speaking for myself . . . a cord to me is 128 cubic feet . . . or in other words the wood that would fit into a stack 4 x 4 x 8.

Thanks for all the replies. Around here I've never seen a referrence to a true 'cord', only 'face', so I wanted to be clear about how much wood people were burning when I see forum threads on consumption. Now I know!!

Before I visited this site,
I did not know there was anything other than a cord (4' X 4' X 8'), for measuring firewood.
1/3 cord = 16" X 4' X 8'
1/2 cord is 4' X 4' X4'
Don't have any plans to change the way we measure wood in Alaska. (that I know of) :)
KISS

I have a cord of wood for sale over here for $100. Over there is another cord of wood you can have for $150. We have another cord out back you can have for $200. What's the difference?

The first cord of wood, if a fox is chasing a rabbit, the rabbit can hop right through the stack of wood and the fox can go right behind him.

That second cord, the rabbit can go through, but the fox has to go around.

On that third stack though, both the rabbit and fox have to go around and a mouse has a struggle getting through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.